Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

"polishing" polished wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 01:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default "polishing" polished wheels

I bought a set of OEM ZO6 polished wheels for my Camaro. They're in nice shape overall, but I think they would really take well to a good polishing. I bought a wheel polish compound from O'Reilly's (the brand escapes me at the moment) and I started polishing the first wheel. After spending nearly and hour on it, I thought that there must be a more efficient and uniform way of polishing them than just using my finger and a rag. Being that they're 10 spoke wheels, there's a lot of crevices and it seemed to be extremely time consuming.

I was wondering if there is a tool that can make this process a bit less manual labor intensive? Maybe something on a rotary type tool? The directions of the polish say to rub the polish in until it turns black, then wipe off with a clean towel.

If there's no other way I'll just suck it up and do it, but I thought I'd check to see if there's a better way to do it before I spend multiple hours polishing up my wheels.

I'm mainly looking to take the "haze" off the metal and get rid of some extremely minor scratches in the metal.

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2010, 08:57 AM
TECH Addict

Are you asking for a tool? i have used a powerball on a drill..and it only takes me minutes per wheel..
then i just wipe them down to make sure i get all the leftovers out..
Old 06-13-2010, 09:14 AM
Launching!

You need to find what type of metal you're working with then get a polish specific to that metal - try this site:

http://www.autogeek.net/metal-wheel-polish.html

The Mothers' products are very inexpensive, they also work well. autogeek has tons of options, you can also use autopia.org and the search feature on that website, it's a site that deals exclusively with detailing.

When you get them polished, post some pics of them shining in the sun!
Old 06-13-2010, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Wenol polish and the powerball with a drill. You might have to spend more time on them the first time. After that they should polish up fairly fast.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

theres on clear coat on your rims is there? if so u are not going to be able to polish them without taking the clear coat off. i see you said oem z06 so im going to assume with are GM rims so they would have had clear coat on them from the factory.

Quick Reply: "polishing" polished wheels