Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

DIY Powder Coating

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 02:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Powder Coating

I want to start powder coating my own parts and am wondering if anyone on here does it?

What gun do you have, how do you like it, what powder media do you use, what oven, and what technique do you use (baking time, temps, stuff like that)?

I'm honestly thinking about getting a Craftsman gun, old electric oven, and do my powder coating in the back room of our shop.

Also how bad are the fumes coming from the oven?

And should I not waste my time with the Craftsman gun? If so what gun should I look at?

Thanks in advance
Old 03-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Staging Lane

I've always been tempted to try these guys:
http://www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-powd...Fce7Kgodsn8MCw
Old 03-07-2011, 02:50 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have that eastwood kit and have used it on 90% of the powdered parts on my car. Some of the thicker metal stuff needed to be pre-heated before appplying the powder to it. Just buy a old used oven and go to town. The fumes arent bad out in the open air like in a shop.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought the Eastwood gun the original not the dual voltage. I'm using a old oven I got off Craiglist. The hardest part IMO is not actually coating the part but getting it prepped and ready to coat. I bought a sandblasting cabinet that works well to prep the surface for items that have not already been coated or painted. Luckily I've just been coating parts for my own car and only a few were already coated and I got it off with Aircraft stripper.

It's fairly easy to do once you do it a few times and you will enjoy it. I bought a few powders from Eastwood but now I'm getting some stuff from Pendry Powder Coating.

I did all the stuff below on the cooler.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:56 PM
Teching In

I've been eyeballing that kit! Nice job on those parts, looks good!
Old 03-07-2011, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The above does look good, good job! Yeah with powder coating you want to make sure you get in all the corners and get a good prep with degreaser and sanding or sandblasting. Super easy to do, very gratifying as well.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A blasting cabinet would be a great investment. That or hook up with a shop that has one and play the favor game.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here is everything coated on the motor. Everyday I find something else I forgot to coat lol.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

I used the at home eastwood kit as well. The hardest part is prepping. It's got to the perfectly clean, the out gassed.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I hope your not doing powder coat in your kitchen oven, are you?
Old 03-08-2011, 02:39 AM
TECH Addict

I bought a blasting cabinet last weekend

But yes I know the prep work will make or break the job in the end, just like a paint job. I only plan on coating a few things, but I know when I get it I'll probably coat everything haha

How do you bake them in the oven? Laying on a tray or hanging inside of the oven?

And what about the more delicate parts? Like calipers, do you tear them completely apart or bake them at a lower heat for a longer period of time?

Thanks for the replies guys
Old 03-08-2011, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
I hope your not doing powder coat in your kitchen oven, are you?
yeah i cooked my parts the same time I cooked big bowl of lasagna. I have this weird twitch now.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

How do you bake them in the oven? Laying on a tray or hanging inside of the oven?
You can lay some items on the metal trays like valve covers. Everything else is hung with metal wire.

And what about the more delicate parts? Like calipers, do you tear them completely apart or bake them at a lower heat for a longer period of time?
You will want to tear them completely apart but the bake process wont really be any lower or longer.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
I bought a blasting cabinet last weekend

But yes I know the prep work will make or break the job in the end, just like a paint job. I only plan on coating a few things, but I know when I get it I'll probably coat everything haha

Thanks for the replies guys
I bought my cabinet at Harbor Freight the other day. It was on sale and I found a 20% off coupon and got it with taxes and all for about $175. The biggest pain is prepping stuff that is already painted or coated. If it's just bare the media will prep it easily. Depending on the part I also either lay it on the rack or hang it with some wires.

Last edited by DopeFedZ; 03-08-2011 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

when prepping, for example, calipers, do you take all the paint off to the metal before coating? just curious about more in-depth info. about the prep work...
Old 03-08-2011, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Correct if not the powder coat will not adhere to the areas where paint is still on the part that is being coated, at least it hasn't for me but I'm no pro. I just strip the paint off then hit it with the sand blaster to give the surface a nice finish for the powder coat to stick to.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

how big of a blasting cabinet are you guys getting
Old 03-08-2011, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

I just got the same cabinet as DopeFedZ did. The inside measures 33 wide x 24 deep x 22 high (back) x 14 high (front) IIRC

Its pretty good sized, but the door is smaller than the working area, and it will not fit an 11" wide wheel

This week I'm going to order the kit from Craftsman and try it out. I'm getting a set of fabricated valve covers and am planning on coating them in black wrinkle, front spindles and calipers & hardware will be matte black, rear control arms I dunno about yet, but I have some plans to coat a bunch of stuff haha, my list keeps getting bigger. I just need to find a damn oven
Old 03-08-2011, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
I just need to find a damn oven

craigslist is your friend.......
Old 03-08-2011, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by YellowTA1
craigslist is your friend.......
Only problem is that I live in a small town and only seem to find things in the bigger places. Then I have to drive 75 miles each way in my dads truck that gets ~10 mpg.....you get my drift haha

I found a couple locally for $25-$50 so I'll see when they give me a call back

DopeFedZ What kind of media are you using? I have always used silica sand and its hard on the original material. I thought about getting some glass, but wasn't sure how well it works, or maybe some soda. I heard that soda works really well for removing paint, but not so much for heavy rust

Quick Reply: DIY Powder Coating