Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Anybody glass their triple gauge pillar or make their own?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anybody glass their triple gauge pillar or make their own?

I was thinking about getting another stock pillar and trying to glass some frames for the gauges into the stock pillar. I hate the look of the triple pillar over the stock pillar. I've glassed numerous subwoofer boxes before so the glass part wouldn't be anything.

I'm just wondering if there will be enough room for all of my wires behind the stock pillar. This would be on a t-top car with boost/fuel/trans temp gauges. Anybody else like me or has anyone ever tried?
Old 03-24-2011, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

Nobody? That's odd...

Well, I found an extra pillar that I'm going to try a thing or two on and see how it goes. I can't stand how it has to be placed on top of the stock piece.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you glassing a whole new pillar or just glassing the three pods onto the stock pillar? I don't know how well the fiberglass will hold to the plastic. now if you were using the pillar and guage pods as like a mold to make a whole new fiberglass pillar that would be different.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:10 PM
TECH Resident

My plan was try to out both ways actually. I was going to try and glass the gauges into the stock mold but I'm not sure how it would turn out, looks wise. Strength wouldn't be a problem as far as the glassing would go.

The more I think about it, the more I want to mold them into the stock pillar somehow. I want to see if I could maybe cut the section out of the stock pillar and glass thr actual triple pod in the right spot, do you know what I mean? I'm probably going to try two or three methods I think would work best and then go from there.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im not sure on the material of the stock pillar but if its ABS like the pillar pods you could always plastic weld them in. Only problem you might run into is keeping the look of the texture, but that can be solved by wrapping it in a vinyl or some material.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

Ya I'm not too worried about that part. If worse comes to worst, then I'll just wrap it. Just need to wait for the stuff to come in and I can get started.

Quick Reply: Anybody glass their triple gauge pillar or make their own?