Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Upper Dash

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 07:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Upper Dash

Buying a new upper dash next week. What do you put on yours to keep it from cracking. Please dont say armor all. I used meguiars leather wipes for a bit but thats when the dash all of a sudden really started cracking.

Let me know what you use to keep your from drying out and cracking.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Why do you not like armor all?
Old 05-03-2011, 10:26 AM
TECH Resident

Being in Florida from the experience in dealing with Armor All working at part stores when I was younger, people would always show me what happened after they used amor all it would dry out there dash if they did not constantly use it and just cause it to crack be very brittle.

The person I purchased one of my 4th gens from that i no longer have was funny about it too. They told me and I quote " i started putting armor all on the dash and about 8 months later it started to look like this" It was cracked needless to say....Bad.

Im sure states that don't have to deal with the harsh sun as much as we do dont experience these problems as much but down here it is bad.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Surf City Garage - Dash Away, or nothing at all. It would be wise to invest in a folding sun shade. The twist-out style that has two circles. Have not had a problem with my upper dash pad cracking (either in my car or in the car of the guy I sold it to), nor am I having a problem with the new one... I live in California.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Soft rag damp from warm water.
And invest in a sunshade. I have the custom fit one from AfterthoughtsAuto.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sunshade will help. I'm in Houston and never have any problems with using armor all. works great for me!
Old 05-03-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I did nothing. Car wasn't garaged (I don't have one) so it saw the sun quite a bit. Also saw bitter cold in the winter. It was a 98, 161k miles at the time of its demise, and the dash pad was still perfect. It is now going in another car.

I'm surprised it never cracked, really. I had pulled it a couple times too - once to bypass the light sensor in the dash, once again later to adjust and tighten down the dash mounting brackets and bolts.

Quick Reply: Upper Dash