Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

VIS no help at all!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 05:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default VIS no help at all!

I thought the stock hood was the worst offender in making my new Z28 project car look as bland as it did.

I purchased a VIS carbon fiber hood for my 95 Z28 in July of 2010 directly from VIS.

When I got the hood and installed it, I couldnt make it fit quite right.
I worked on it several times, got some help from freinds that were expert in fitment issues and more patient than I.

We got it alot better but still never right.

I should have contacted VIS immediately but figured that I had an interference issue somewhere under the hood causing the problem.

Fast forward two years, I had the car (and hood) painted and pulled the LT1 out and installed a LS6.

I later ruled out interefence as the problem as the hood didnt sit right even with the motor pulled and the bay empty.

I crawled in the empty motor bay and had the hood closed on me to check how things were sitting. everything lined up but the hood was still off.

Today I called VIS for advice on how to fix the hood.
I didn't expect much as I bought the hood two years ago.

All they told me was -"We never had ANY problems with fitment on any of those hoods!"

They didn't even offer me any discounted hood pins!

I asked and expected very little from them in the first place but was seriously dissapointed in their response - I would not recomend VIS to anyone after today's exchange.

Anyone know how to fix this? - Pic's below
Attached Thumbnails VIS no help at all!-jse_img_4664.jpg   VIS no help at all!-jse_img_4665.jpg   VIS no help at all!-jse_img_4666.jpg   VIS no help at all!-jse_img_4667.jpg   VIS no help at all!-jse_img_4668.jpg  

VIS no help at all!-jse_img_4669.jpg   VIS no help at all!-jse_img_4670.jpg   VIS no help at all!-jse_img_4671.jpg  
Old 04-28-2011, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

No responses? -That's pretty much what I figured, nothing I can do except try hood pins.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, they DO recommend the use of hood pins... Right? The only other car I've seen with a VIS carbon hood had hood pins. Carbonfiberbird is the guys name on LS1tech, if you do a search. Fitment on the drivers side does look a little odd though. I am guessing you have tried lowering the latch popper mechanism further down (although it kinda looks ok in the center front)? Are the corner hood bump stops lowered all the way down (there are 4 total, I'm talking about the two outer ones)? Have you tried removing them completely?
Old 04-29-2011, 12:22 AM
Staging Lane

Yes, I've tried every possible configuration with the hood stops.

The center front of the leading edge is sitting a bit low now with each side a little high.

It suprisingly sat quite a bit worse when I tried removing the stops completely.

Quick Reply: VIS no help at all!