Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine Bay Clean Up Has Begun.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine Bay Clean Up Has Begun.

I started with the wire mod on Monday. I used a 1.5" hole. It was a bit of a struggle to fit all the wires through, but I eventually managed to make everything fit (no innuendos intended). The job took a bit longer than I thought it would, but it was a learning process, so I guess that's expected. The strut tower is a bit scratched up, but it's okay because it's going to get repainted eventually anyways. I also relocated my ground wires while I was at it and plan to relocate my amp power cable later.

Please excuse the photo quality, they were taken with a cell phone.

Other engine bay modifications planned:
Change fuel rail covers from "Corvette" to "Trans Am"
Repaint engine bay
FAST intake painted black
Yellow wire covers for remaining wires
Steel braided lines and hoses
Powder coated battery and fuse box covers
And I'm sure there's more to come after that.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete137
I started. I used a 1.5" hole. It was a bit of a struggle to fit through, but I eventually managed to make everything fit. The job took a bit longer than I thought it would, but it was a learning process, so I guess that's expected. The tower is a bit scratched up, but it's okay. I also relocated my wire while I was at it and plan to relocate my power later.
I see what you did there...

Plan looks good so far. You should wash/scrub that engine bay down with Simple Green and a toothbrush! Cover the alternator and pulleys with tinfoil first, and stuff a small rag under the intake manifold to prevent water from pooling up around the knock sensors. Also helps as an initial prep for painting things like the intake manifold.

You can strip the paint off the fuel rail covers by purchasing a couple large containers of "Super Clean Degreaser". It comes in a big purple jug at WalMart/Autozone/etc.. Find a sealed container big enough to hold the FRCs flat, place them in the container, and submerge them with Super Clean Degreaser. If you have to, you can mix in a little water to get even coverage over the FRCs, or do one at a time. After a day or two of soaking, the paint should peel itself away from the plastic. If there's any stubborn bits, you can help the peeling process by using an old toothbrush on the peeling paint. After all the paint is gone, rinse with water. It should be good to be filled, prepped, and painted.

That, or you can buy a stick-on cover from Specialized Stainless to hide the CORVETTE logo, without having to fill, prep, and repaint: http://store.specializedstainless.co...t/Detail?no=97

Last edited by ZexGX; 05-05-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trying to make our engine bays look nice is a long process, but well worth it in the end.. Are you doing the hood cable latch mod on the other side? Also very easy to do.. Good luck!!!
Old 05-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ZexGX
I see what you did there...

Plan looks good so far. You should wash/scrub that engine bay down with Simple Green and a toothbrush! Cover the alternator and pulleys with tinfoil first, and stuff a small rag under the intake manifold to prevent water from pooling up around the knock sensors. Also helps as an initial prep for painting things like the intake manifold.

You can strip the paint off the fuel rail covers by purchasing a couple large containers of "Super Clean Degreaser". It comes in a big purple jug at WalMart/Autozone/etc.. Find a sealed container big enough to hold the FRCs flat, place them in the container, and submerge them with Super Clean Degreaser. If you have to, you can mix in a little water to get even coverage over the FRCs, or do one at a time. After a day or two of soaking, the paint should peel itself away from the plastic. If there's any stubborn bits, you can help the peeling process by using an old toothbrush on the peeling paint. After all the paint is gone, rinse with water. It should be good to be filled, prepped, and painted.

That, or you can buy a stick-on cover from Specialized Stainless to hide the CORVETTE logo, without having to fill, prep, and repaint: http://store.specializedstainless.co...t/Detail?no=97
A company of sorts that was at a car meet told me that they sell custom fuel rail covers for TAs and Camaros for around $170. I asked them if they would would fill mine in and repaint them for me, and they said they would knock $70 or so off the price since I already have them and they're already cut to fit my car. Seemed like a good deal at the time, but if I can do a good job on my own, then why the hell not? Thanks for the advice.

Originally Posted by OIF1VET
Trying to make our engine bays look nice is a long process, but well worth it in the end.. Are you doing the hood cable latch mod on the other side? Also very easy to do.. Good luck!!!
I'll probably do the hood latch cable mod at the same time I delete my AIR system, which will be soon. Stupid check valve has gone bad the last 2 years immediately before inspection time
Old 05-05-2011, 03:50 PM
FormerVendor

That's a great start. Make sure you get your relocated grounds nice and snug or be prepared to have some weird things happen with your car, lol.

We make FRC strips that make it easy to cover up the Corvette lettering if you're interested http://store.yoastfabrication.com/se...d-Cover/Detail

Quick Reply: Engine Bay Clean Up Has Begun.