Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Applying stripes

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Applying stripes

Should be getting my blackbird stripes in along with a couple other things today...whats gonna be the easiest and best way to apply these? Im sure itll come with instructions but sometimes those dont work so has anyone tried anything that worked great for them?
Old 05-20-2011, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say make sure that where you are sticking them is super clean and then take your time so you don't get air bubbles. Other than that I don't know if there really is a right or wrong way of putting them on lol.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Get blue masking tape, lay the stripes on the hood for mock up (leave the backing still attached) and put blue masking tape squares all along the outside of the vinyl to mark off where the vinyl needs to be placed. Kinda like a template. When you go to apply the vinyl, use the blue squares of tape to line everything up.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I've applied a few large decals on cars I've owned.

Apply them indoors only.

Only apply them with a soap and water solution! Liberally apply the solution on both sides of the decal. Doing so with give you time to make corrections if the stripes aren't centered to your liking.

Use a good squeegee and always start from the center of the decal to push the excess water to the ends of the decal to help prevent bubbles. Don't put too much pressure when squeegeeing out the decal without the soapy water solution on top of the decal or you could actually scrape or put light scratches on its surface.

Rarely ever does large decals adhere without leaving tiny bubbles so don't worry if you have a few just make sure they aren't large ones. It's good to have a hair dryer to help evaporate the excess water underneath the decal. Any tiny bubbles you have left can be removed by using a needle and the hair dryer.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm curious as well.. What does the surface need to be cleaned with before applying them? Would it be a good idea to clay bar it?
Old 05-23-2011, 01:13 AM
On The Tree

I put the stripes on today and I went ahead and used the clay bar then just used some windex with a microfiber cloth and applied them. did them in the garage after the hood cooled down from the sun. I used lots and lots and lots of soapy water. Believe it or not guys...i even got my wife out there helping me out! I think it turned out great except I think I should have gone with charcoal grey instead of flat black but it still looks good. I was searching for a nbm car with stripes just to get some kind of idea of what other colors were being used and couldnt really find anything so i went with the general vote of flat black...looks ok to me. ill post pics up tomm after I give it a bath.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:24 AM
12 Second Club

Take your time and have a friend help you! If you have patience and someone as an extra set of hands everything will go smooth. This is coming from experience, I did the stripes on my car you see in the pic w/ the help of a friend.

Quick Reply: Applying stripes