Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

First detail tommorow, any tips for doing it outside in warm weather?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 07:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First detail tommorow, any tips for doing it outside in warm weather?

I just bought a PC kit with some pads/polishes. I was tired of looking around for a decent detailer and none to be found. Anyway i might have some shade due to clouds and my buddy has a slight cover, but not enough for the whole car. Car needs a full correction IMO. Planning to use Dawn and wash it twice, then clay it and start on getting out the swirls. Being a black car and being warm outside, is it going to affect the products? Most of the stuff is Poorboys stuff and most says you can apply it sun or shade, but i don't have any real experience with it.

Most detailers detail inside, so im looking for advice for outside.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For best results going to have to do your work inside. Depending on temperature and amount of sunlight exposure the polish/wax will dry up and become glue and more than likely leave behind some residue and force you to have to go back and do the whole prep phase all over again.

Best thing you could do is start the prep just briefly before sunset and hope you finish up with some light that you can still see and enough temp to help the product cure.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

its going to be around 77, but with the humidity feel like mid to upper 80s
Old 06-30-2011, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Avoid the direct sunlight. Work small sections and don't allow the product to sunbake on the paint. If the sheet metal is getting too hot to touch comfortably, it is too hot to work. Start early in the morning, and work the horizontal surfaces first. Then work the side in the shade that is away from the sun, once done, turn the car around to put the other side in the shade.

Pay special attention to any product you might get on rubber or plastic parts, as the sun and heat will make it more difficult to remove.

No need to wash twice. Once is enough. Opinions differ on using Dawn. Personally I think it is absolutely unnecessary unless you are applying Zanio for the first time. A good car wash soap is all you need.

Quick Reply: First detail tommorow, any tips for doing it outside in warm weather?