Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Couple window winting questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Couple window winting questions

First off ill start with my fbody. How hard is it to remove the rear window tint with the defrost on there? any tips? id rather do it myself then pay 60-100 like the tint place said.

Second, going to be tinting windows on my cadillac. i want 5% on backs and rear window.. whats a good % for the front then? not familiar with 4 door matching. i dont want too much contrast but i dont want the fronts 5%. is 20% on fronts a good match with 5% everywhere else?
Old 02-12-2012, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read on this site that the easiest way is to use aircraft stripper and it will literally eat the tint away as opposed to you peeling it and possibly catching a line and breaking it.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porksoda
I read on this site that the easiest way is to use aircraft stripper and it will literally eat the tint away as opposed to you peeling it and possibly catching a line and breaking it.
Yup, I went with 5 and 20 on my old old car looked really good. Be aware though some states have laws on how dark you can go.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Set it out in the sun and hose it down with windex or some type of ammonia glass cleaner. Thats why the tell you not to use windex on tinted windows, I think it breaks down the adhesive. It worked on my rear window....the defroster lines are a pain though.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

A razor and some ammonia Windex worked pretty good for me this summer when I needed to take off the old purple tint that my car came with.

I was able to just hit at the edges of all the windows a couple of times with the razor blade and basically peel the tint sheets off of the windows with my hand, even the rear window. Only problem is that it leftover a bunch of old glue residue and the tint shop charged me quite a bit to get it all off.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

I've been window tinting for about 10 years now. First, I'ts a pain in the *** so go ahead and accept that. With that being said, here's what you do.....

First DO NOT use a razor blade on the defrosters. It will ruin them. If you can peel up a corner and the film will come off in one piece, great! that will make things much easier. I will explain what to do if not later.
Once the film is off it will most likely leave a layer of glue on the glass. Get a squirt bottle with johnsons baby soap or lemon joy. It doesn't have to be a lot. spray the glass and get some grade 00000 steel wool and get to scrubbing. Did I mention it sucks???

If the film does not come off in one piece then see if you can find a steamer. That will heat the glue up without damaging the glass/upholstery/or defroster lines. Use a plastic hard card(you can get from home depot) to scrape the film up and pull it off in little pieces until its all off. Did I mention it sucks???

If I can help anymore, let me know.

Quick Reply: Couple window winting questions