Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What is wet sanding??

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What is wet sanding??

I know what wet sanding it, but why would I need to do it and when does it need to be done?? I can't seem to find a straight down-to-earth explanation on the internet. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As far as on a factory paint job, usually never. You may have to wet sand some imperfections or extra orange peel on a freshly painted piece. You will have to compound and polish afterwards obviously.

You might also have the need to wet sand your headlights to make quick work of the yellow oxidation working your way up to a higher grit so that it is easier to compound and polish.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

After waxing a car if you can't stand back from it and see a clear reflection you might have imperfections in the paint. On my mustang it was extremely evident to me and really bothered me.

Wet sanding should be your last ditch effort if you are unhappy with your cars appearance after regular waxing. On a factory paint Job you will see minor waves in the waxed paint where the clear cost dries unevenly. I would not recommend something like wet sanding unless you are an experienced detailed with a wide variety of buffers and cutting compounds

Basically I did this with water, 2000 grit paper, and a rotary buffer with m205

Because my paint looked like this

And after wet sanding and waxing my paint looks like this
Old 06-11-2012, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That reflection is SICK! Beautiful work.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

On wet sanding a finished paint job before buffing, I've usually heard the process referred to as color sanding.While it is a skilled process & requires care,you have to start somewhere to learn if you ever want more tha just an average paint job. If you're a little scared to try, you can just sand down the worst of the roughness, not getting all of the craters out & still see a huge improvement after buffing.
While methods vary,It's the end result that counts. I usually start with a courser paper,such as 1000 or 1200 grit, but only using it part of the way twoards smooth,then switch to 1500 to 2000 grit & sometimes even 3000 before buffing.And always use extra care near cornors& use the appropriate type of sanding blocks to hold paper.
Remember,it's only paint.

Quick Reply: What is wet sanding??