Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Dashboard Fading Really Fast???

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 05:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dashboard Fading Really Fast???

I've had my 2000 WS6 for 6 months now and the dashboard has always been in 10/10 condition. I was using regular ol' Armor All on it, untill last week i decided to pick up Mequiar's natural shine protectant.
I put it on, all looked good, then just a few days later i noticed one part of the dash starting to look chalky and greyish, not shiny and black like it should. I tried washing the dash thinking it was some kind of chemical reaction but that did not work, it still looked bad, so i applied a light amount of some baby oil and it made it look amazing, but only for about 3 days then it went back to crap...

It seems to be isolated to the center part of the dash, right above the vents, and a little bit on the hump that rises over the gauges. Does anybody have any idea what this is? Or how to fix it?

Pics...

Old 07-04-2012, 12:35 AM
Staging Lane

Don't buy armor all. It has silicone in it which will dry out your plastics , brown/yellow / fade them. Same for the people that put that crap on tires.

Use water based products. I'd recommend getting Meguiars APC and 303 Aerospace protectant.

The APC will help clean the old crap off and then the 303 will help provide a protective finish while giving a light darkened glossy look to the dash.

Unfortunately it is a little too late to completely fix your issue. But the 303 will help protect against further damage and also sun damage which is also a culprit.

You can either order from autogeek or you could see if a place like autozone has a spray bottle of 303 and APC.

Going the small bottle route, shouldn't be too expensive.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:57 AM
11 Second Club

use a sun visor whenever you park it.. could help keep some of the rays off of it..
Old 07-06-2012, 05:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ballzee
use a sun visor whenever you park it.. could help keep some of the rays off of it..
I use a sun visor... Thats the thing, i dont neglect my dash, its rarely ever in the sun, only when im driving, other than that its parked inside a garage or has the sun visor.. The fact that it went from a perfect dash, to faded and crappy looking in less than a week is frustrating as hell.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you already used armor all on on then its done, now you can never stop using it , Like Jet49 said, its a little too late
Old 07-07-2012, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Listen to these people and don't use armor all again.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

I used Armor All on my last fbody for 5 years with no problems.. But oh well, im done with it. Ive got some 303 but its not helping with the dry looking spots. The only thing that makes it look nice and black is baby oil, but it makes the dash way too shiny.

Quick Reply: Dashboard Fading Really Fast???