Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Detailing 1970's paint

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 09:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailing 1970's paint

Just rebuilt the engine in my 70 monte Carlo and now it's time to make her look a little nicer. The car is all original with 40,000 miles on it. What's the best way to get the paint to have a little more shine? Would I go about it just like a basecoat clearcoat car or do something different? Yes it is original paint.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 913 Likes on 653 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

The best way is to machine polish it. Correcting single stage paint is similar to clearcoat. You will need quite a few pads because the single stage paint will clog up the foam pad quickly. Using compressed air and a foam brush will help but you will still have to change pads frequently.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ Just like LilJay said. I was a bit afraid to do our 70's Camaro at first as well. Start with the least aggressive pad/polish combo you have and do a test patch (you should always do this anyway). If it's not enough, get a more aggressive combo and do the test patch again. Once your satisfied with the test area, you'll know what the rest of the car should need. Like Jay said you're going to get some paint on the pads, don't freak out. A good brush should clean them up nice, but if you're unsure, just change the pad.

Oh, if you're using a dual action polisher (i.e. Porter Cable) all the above applies. If you're using a Rotary, I'm sure you know to be 100x more careful not to eat through that paint.

Good luck and post pics when you're done!
Old 07-09-2012, 08:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, i plan on getting a porter dual action soon. I cant wait until this things done. Having some engine problems (pushrod not wanting to oil) at the moment. But it shouldnt take too much longer.