Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Steering wheel painting

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel painting

I have a charcoal interior and am going for a subtle red on black theme throughout my car. I want to paint the Pontiac symbol, the 2 horn symbols, and the SRS on the steering wheel to continue the look I'm going for. Had anyone done this before our have any recommendations for the best materials to use? Would acrylic paint come out good for this?
Old 08-19-2012, 11:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did see a guy on here paint his pontiac symbol on the steering wheel here... i believe it was in the thread for "unique interior mod" ill see if i can find it for ya! it looked really good though!
Old 08-19-2012, 12:31 PM
TECH Regular

here it is on page 1 https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...uote-pics.html unfortunately looks like he hasnt been active since 1/26/11! so i guess thats no help... sorry
Old 08-19-2012, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I saw that and wanted to do the same for mine. I hope acrylic paint will stick to it well and come out looking good. I'll post up pics of the final product once I do it. Going to try to get it done today.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would advise against this as it will look a little tacky but if you must: don't paint it. There is a decal you can purchase that goes over it. Try Bfranker.badz28 or fourthcircledesigns.com.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

I went to a hobby shop and spoke to a guy who seemed pretty knowledgeable about different paints. I'm glad I asked before jumping in and buying stuff because according to the guy working there, acrylics would just crack and peel right off of anything vinyl/leather, so he suggested enamel paints. I'm still going to give this a try, but I think I'll start with a small piece, such as one of the horn symbols, and see how it comes out before doing the whole steering wheel. If it looks like crap, I'll just try to clean it off and look for an alternative to get it done.

So painting is taking longer than I expected (with only being able to work on it after I get off work and before daylight ends), but it is coming out pretty awesome so far. Hoping to be done with it today, not much left. Will get pics up as soon as I'm done and explain what I used.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

I really like the look of the painted Pontiac logo on the steering wheel. It really makes an otherwise mundane and lifeless piece stand out. If you can keep all of your edges crisp and clean, I think the results will look outstanding on your car!

Best of luck -- I can't wait to see your finished piece!
Old 08-23-2012, 12:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28RS
I really like the look of the painted Pontiac logo on the steering wheel. It really makes an otherwise mundane and lifeless piece stand out. If you can keep all of your edges crisp and clean, I think the results will look outstanding on your car!

Best of luck -- I can't wait to see your finished piece!
I disagree. I think it looks tacky.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
I disagree. I think it looks tacky.
To each their own I like how it breaks up the black in a tasteful way that doesn't look like a sea of color. As long as we're all happy with our own cars, it's all good right?

So after some painstakingly slow progress (enamel paint takes longer to dry than I banked on ), I finally have some shots of the finished product and I think it looks great I enlisted the assistance of my wife, who is much more artistically skilled than I am, and the materials we used are:

Chrysler Engine Red enamel paint
German Metallic Silver enamel paint
Very small fine-tip paintbrushes
Toothpicks
Rubbing alcohol

When we discovered that the paintbrush tips were going to be too large for basically everything on the steering wheel outside of the Pontiac logo, my wife came up with the idea to snap toothpicks in half and use the smaller splintered points to paint the finite details and it sure as hell worked like a charm. We also used toothpicks dipped in rubbing alcohol to wipe/scrape off any paint that got outside of the area we wanted it to be in. To get the silver edge around the Pontiac symbol, we taped off a border around it to the width we wanted, painted it silver, removed the tape once dry, and then used toothpicks to clean up the edges and straighten it out and get everything perfectly even. Then we jumped over to the passenger side to get the SRS on the airbag cover as well. All in all, I am very happy with the results, it definitely adds a little something to the interior that just felt like it was missing before.

I also did my A/C vent rings while we were at it to go along with the theme I'm creating in my car. Once it gets dark enough to warrant turning on the dash lights, it really brings it all together with the red on black. (The last photo here was taken before we did the steering wheel, but it shows how the A/C vent rings come together with the dash lighting).

Old 08-24-2012, 12:56 PM
TECH Resident

I like the arrowhead.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:10 PM
11 Second Club

Great job. Love the detail on the arrow head. Not a fan of the rest.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

Thanks! I've gotten some mixed comments about the rest of it, but overall I'm pretty happy with it. If I ever decide I don't like the red A/C vent rings, I can easily get some regular charcoal colored replacements from the junkyard for cheap. For now I like seeing something different inside the car though

Now I'm just waiting on the guy from AutoGraFics to reply back to me so I can place an order for my decal set. So close to finishing up the theme of my car before I start on the engine
Old 08-26-2012, 02:35 PM
Staging Lane

Looks good. These interior need dressed up to look good.Compare to interiors of new cars, they look outdated.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:01 PM
Teching In

I like the arrowhead but not the horns or srs. The bezel rings don't look bad, but the defroster vents do IMO.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by InfernoTA
Looks good. These interior need dressed up to look good.Compare to interiors of new cars, they look outdated.
I totally agree, the all one solid color thing just feels old and bland. I did this to breathe what feels like a little "new life" into the interior of mine.

Originally Posted by J8127
I like the arrowhead but not the horns or srs. The bezel rings don't look bad, but the defroster vents do IMO.
Thanks! I do have to admit, the defroster rings didn't come out as good a I'd hoped. They're just too red to not look out of place. I think I'm going to go pick up some new charcoal ones from the junkyard and leave them charcoal.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:33 AM
Teching In

Kinda of late but I used a vinyl/cloth dye to change my wheel from grey to black & it turned out really well. Once I get my steering wheel wrap put on I'll post pictures. I'm with J8127, the arrowhead looks awesome. The rest "eh" seen worse
Old 08-27-2012, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

Not bad. Can you find a new dashboard at a junk yard?
Old 08-27-2012, 02:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nathan C
Not bad. Can you find a new dashboard at a junk yard?
Haha believe me, I have looked. Mine's pretty bad on the driver's side now, it's in about 5 or so pieces at this point I think. Every time I come across one at a junkyard, though, it's in even worse shape than mine I've looked at some options on Ebay, but I'm never sure enough if they're a cover/wrap or an actual replacement to buy it, especially for like $110-120.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel painting