Sponsored by: DashLynx

Best Way To Get Tint Off?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 12:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best Way To Get Tint Off?

Hey Guys,

I'm in NJ and sadly tint is illegal here. My inspection is coming up next month and I need to get my tint off or else I'm not going to pass. Any pointers on the best way to get it off without scratching up the windows or spending more energy/time than necessary?

Thanks.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

best/easiest/cleanest way is using a steamer/steam machine (should be able to find at any department store or hardware store). nothing but water used, and once you get it nice and hot and start pulling it off you'll leave little to no residue. For whats left you can use an adhesive remover, something like Goof Off or Goo Gone, and/or use a razor blade scraper (while keeping the window lubricated with a soapy water solution) to clean off any remaining residue.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Xtreme57
Hey Guys,

I'm in NJ and sadly tint is illegal here. My inspection is coming up next month and I need to get my tint off or else I'm not going to pass. Any pointers on the best way to get it off without scratching up the windows or spending more energy/time than necessary?

Thanks.
I dont think they will fail you for tint, the only thing they care about now is emissions(MIL bulb check, no codes, CARB readyness, visual cat inspection) They no longer look at tires, lights, glass, suspension,brakes. I would roll down both windows just so they dont say anything, but if the cops havent busted you yet your good to go.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:14 AM
Staging Lane

I agree with Kevin, but if you are still worried I have had to take my tint off previously. Buy a pack of new razors and some dish soap and water in a spray bottle, start underneath the gasket/weatherstripping where the tint was cut. Spray heavily with soapy water to prevent scratching and use razor blade to get glue off, or goof off as said above. Make sure your razor stays sharp, and replace when needed. It's not too hard, took myself about 40 minutes.

The glue is more difficult to get off then the tint itself
Old 08-31-2012, 08:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it peeling at all?

I ripped my window tint off all in one piece just using my hands, no razors just very carefully pulling it off. It's worth a shot? Here's a picture.... don't ask why part of the door is red... when the car is green. I have no idea... previous accident? The CarFax is clean though so...

Before:

After:
Best Way To Get Tint Off?-9ezlz.jpg

I don't have a picture with the new tint on though

Quick Reply: Best Way To Get Tint Off?