Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Repair or replace carpet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 06:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Repair or replace carpet?

So I wore through the driver side floormats in the heel area years ago, and now it's worn through the carpet. The bare metal is exposed, and it gets warm enough to soften and re-shape the heel of my work shoes :-) The other three floormats are in storage and basically like new.

I take it there isn't an easy way to repair this and I should just replace the entire carpet? If so, what are the quality brands I should consider, and what type of carpet is closest to the factory pile? I have the 1998 gray interior, but since I have the NBM paint I was also wondering what a dark blue carpet might look like also.

Stockinteriors.com has PN 6405 in plush and ultra-plush, and also mass backing. Should I consider them and if so, what type of carpet?
Old 09-22-2012, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

The easiest thing to do would be to buy a new drivers side floor mat. That would hide the problem.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:24 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After market is a pita to install! But if you go that route our carpet is not ultra pile. Reg pile is closer to stock. I have a oem charcoal carpet with no holes in it if your interested. I'll sell cheap.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:40 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm not even sure what my original carpet color is called? Grey, ebony, etc. If I stuck with OEM I'd want the exact same color as it had when new. How does the aftermarket quality compare to OEM?
Old 09-22-2012, 09:46 AM
Launching!

98 has charcoal. I don't know what aftermarket calls it. I have researched this topic hard and really didn't find anyone with good results.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:52 AM
TECH Junkie

How does your charcoal carpet compare what it looked like new? No holes, but any other stains, blemishes, damage, etc? Still has all the backing material? I've never priced used carpet before, how much would you want for it?

Is there anything else which goes between the carpet and the floorboard in the pedal area which might be worn and I should consider replacing as well?
Old 09-22-2012, 11:15 AM
Launching!

Shipping would be a killer and prob not worth it for you. I would sell mine for $80 but would prob cost at least $50 to ship. It's not mint and has stains. The biggest prob you are going to encounter is rust spots from the feet of the seats. It pretty close to impossible to find a new looking oem one. Although with everything in place most flaws are hidden with a used carpet.

Quick Reply: Repair or replace carpet?