Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rubbing compound damage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 06:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rubbing compound damage?

I had 2 pretty noticible scratches on my driver side quarter panel. I ordered a paint repair kit that came with my color and clearcoat as well as a small container of "rubbing compound". I followed the instructions with the kit and the repair looked pretty good. The last step was to allow the clear coat to dry then place a small amount of rubbing compound on the repair and rub in until the paint was evenly shiny. I did this but it now looks all dull with small scratches in the paint. I followed the instructions exactly but it looks like something got messed up. Did I just permanantly damage my paint?
Thanks,
Old 04-16-2004, 07:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What was the kit you bought, some products are not safe for clear coated cars. Before retiring from G.M I worked in the paint repair area, we used 3M Finesse-it II Finishing Material compound on all repair cars. If you're not carefull with the compound you're using you will go through the clear coat, you will then have what is known as a split coat and you don't want that. If I can be of any help P.M me your phone number and I'll give you a call.

Al

Last edited by DARK AGE 53; 04-16-2004 at 07:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Rubbing compound damage?