Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hawks third gen hid kits

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 03:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hawks third gen hid kits

I was wondering of anyone had any experience or reviews of the hawks third gen hid kits for a 4th gen Camaro?
Old 03-03-2013, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

No but from a quick glance on there site I wouldn't run them, for starters they are ONLY available as a 10,000k bulb kit which is is way to close to the purple side and is **** poor for actually doing the job of lighting the road, also to me that color spectrum looks tacky 5-6,000k is the HIGHEST you want to go after that you get significant light output drop off and it actually puts more strain on your eyes.

Also from what I saw the kit for a 98 Camaro (based on your sig) is over 100 bucks for just the low beams and all it is is the same thing you would get with ANY 9006 HID kit (bulbs, ballast and connecting wires). seams a bit steep to me seeing what DDM and several others sell kits for.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm currently running them and love them, they say they're 10k I kno but honestly they seem like they have the output of somewhere between 6 and 8k. And are nowhere near purple. They are a whitish blue. Yes they're a little expensive but they are well worth the money I spent on them, and they look great on the car. If you want to know exactly what they look like loom at my avatar pic. Here's another pic from a different angle.

Last edited by US_Army_Z28; 03-03-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the input usarmy do you have any more pics of your car I could see? And did the kit come with just bulbs or was it the whole headlight and everything?
Old 03-03-2013, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No the kit is just the bulbs and generators. Its a plug and play system. I updated my initial post with another pic of how they look. Ive had them for over a year now and they're still just as bright as day one. And I guess it would be worth noting I work night shift and the camaro is my only car so they are used at a minimum of 5 days a week every week
Old 03-03-2013, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

If you are going to do an HID setup, please for the rest of the drivers' sake, do it right. Kits like these are a danger to everyone else on the road without the proper parts.

If you want a drop in kit, look for the drop in projector kits, otherwise please do not use these parts.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have to disagree about the use of this kit I have been both oncoming towards my car and in front of it in another vehicle and the light wasn't unbearable and didn't blind me

Last edited by US_Army_Z28; 03-03-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If I was spending that much money on an HID kit I'd get a proven, good set of Morimotos from TRS. Can get accurate color temp bulbs too.

While the Camaro housings aren't the worst for putting HIDs in directly, you still shouldn't do it as you're still scattering light and as a result also not having as much usable light.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I will admit I could see them working better with some projector housings I plan on getting some in the next week or so but just can't decide which ones to go with
Old 03-04-2013, 09:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you have the dough the BLS kits are above all the best projectors available for our cars. A second place would be the Sonar lights you can get from ebay, or I think 6LE might carry them also labeled as Spyder or something like that. BLS totally blows them away however. Both use H1 bulbs (you won't find a projector that uses 9006).
Old 03-04-2013, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by US_Army_Z28
I have to disagree about the use of this kit I have been both oncoming towards my car and in front of it in another vehicle and the light wasn't unbearable and didn't blind me
What vehicle were you driving towards your car? I can promise you that hids without the proper projector will blind people. It's just the nature of the light when put into a housing like that. You just can't get around it.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was in one of my friends ws6, and though it may look like it those aren't factory headlight housings on my car, like I said before the light was bright but not blinding.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

I was in front of a 99 body style mustang that had HID in the stock lenses that looked about your color temp in the middle of the afternoon and they where blinding me so please get proper HID projectors, NOT just any projector headlights (ie the "spyder" ones from 6le are HALOGEN projectors), there are cut-off and reflector angle differences between the 2 types of projectors, I bet if you look at those spyder projectors they will say on them with like a sticker or something NOT FOR HID, I know the projectors I had on my last honda did.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
If you have the dough the BLS kits are above all the best projectors available for our cars. A second place would be the Sonar lights you can get from ebay, or I think 6LE might carry them also labeled as Spyder or something like that. BLS totally blows them away however. Both use H1 bulbs (you won't find a projector that uses 9006).
Yea hawks sales the spyder ones that 6le sales so I'm probably gonna go with them since I'm goin to hawks in the next week or so to get a new front grill and have it put in so I can just pick up the lights while I'm there
Old 03-04-2013, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by US_Army_Z28
I was in one of my friends ws6, and though it may look like it those aren't factory headlight housings on my car, like I said before the light was bright but not blinding.
Its not the brightness that is the main problem. It is where that brightness is going. No matter how you think they looked while driving towards them, they are a danger because of light scatter. As said, even the cheap projectors for halogen lights will not work and are just as much of a distraction and danger to others.

Plus with proper projectors the lights will work better for you as well.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
I was in front of a 99 body style mustang that had HID in the stock lenses that looked about your color temp in the middle of the afternoon and they where blinding me so please get proper HID projectors, NOT just any projector headlights (ie the "spyder" ones from 6le are HALOGEN projectors), there are cut-off and reflector angle differences between the 2 types of projectors, I bet if you look at those spyder projectors they will say on them with like a sticker or something NOT FOR HID, I know the projectors I had on my last honda did.
Except I have proof that they work fine with HID and do not cause oncoming traffic blindness. Yeah, they aren't perfect for HID which is why I recommend BLS over them for sure (better light spread), but they are certainly better than just throwing HIDs in stock housings.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When I can afford 350+ for a set of headlight housings ill go with bls for sure but for now the spyders will just have to do
Old 03-15-2013, 12:05 AM

Just purchased my 01 Z28 and it has these R8 Style Headlights I like the way they look but ouch such crappy light dispersion. Is it very difficult to put these retrofit kits in? I want to be able to see the road again
Old 03-16-2013, 05:17 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

There is a thread in the Lighting FAQ where a member replaced the projectors in those R8-style headlights.

Here is the Lighting FAQ:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...hting-faq.html

Here is the thread in question:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...ctor-swap.html

You might be able to fit other options as well.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:55 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought hawks was just china ebay crap with a built in the usa price tag,go ebay mine have been fine for a year,well worth the 37 bucks

Quick Reply: Hawks third gen hid kits