Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

i need to wash and detail engine compartment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 10:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need to wash and detail engine compartment.

Hey guys. i have a 98 Z28 i've owned for a little over a year. This is my first "modern" muscle car i've had.
i need to wash the engine compartement and need to know what i need to be careful of. In the past, i've always just covered the distributor and carburetor and washed away with no problems.
Some guys i've asked say not to worry about anything, just wash it and let it sit and dry for a couple of days before starting it and driving it.
Some guys say just cover the coils on the valve covers, the alternator, and the computer and i'll be fine.
Would love and appreciate any tips and advice from some folks here.
Thank You.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just leave mine dirty as I do not drive around with my hood up. I do have a friend that's **** enough to wax the bottom of his car though. If you must clean it keep water out from under the intake
Old 05-22-2013, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

watch this.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:25 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I let the car sit overnight and then spray it with GUNK foamy engine cleaner. I let that sit for a short time and only scrub areas if it's really greased up. I'll hit it again with whatever is left in the can to clear off the worst areas. Then I use a garden hose on the shower setting and rinse it all off.

Remember, the electrical connections all use the weatherpack connectors, so water is not an issue. Same with the alternator -- it sits low and gets blasted by water when driving. The only thing I try to keep water away from are the idler/tensioner pullies as they'll squeel. I'll toss some PB blaster or WD40 on them afterward just to ensure they stay quiet.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

My engine doesn't have any oil leaks or other grease on it, usually just some dust. I make sure the engine is cold and spray it down with Simple Green. Let sit for a few minutes and spray it off with a fine spray from the garden hose. Then I dry it off with a terry cloth towel or micro fiber shop towels and don't worry too much about getting it dry.

I avoid directly spraying the computer and air filter intake but other than that I don't cover anything up. After this is done I remove the air intake from the throttle body and clean the MAF sensor while I'm at it.

I have custom fuel rail covers and it comes out all pretty.

Never had any problems.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tips guys. My car is the same way, no leaks or greasy junk, just regular, daily driver dirt and dust, and want to keep the car nice.
Also a big fan of Simple Green as well.
Thanks again guys.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Simple Green, especially if you don't dilute it can and will stain aluminum and some plastics. Just throwing that out there for anyone who hasn't used it yet.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Simple Green, especially if you don't dilute it can and will stain aluminum and some plastics. Just throwing that out there for anyone who hasn't used it yet.
I have heard that too, but haven't had any problems with my use of it. Of course, I only leave it on the engine for a few minutes and rinse it off completely.

Quick Reply: i need to wash and detail engine compartment.