Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Beginner Help Please :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 11:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Beginner Help Please :)

I am not too amazing at doing my own car stuff, but I'd really like to do this simple item myself.

I'm wanting to install these HID kit from amazon, and I know it might be as easy as "Plug & Play" But is there still a DIY thread on how to install these, or something similar to these? Wiring and electronics kind of intimidate me, I'd appreciate all the help

OPT7 Blitz 35w HID Xenon Conversion Kit - 9006 - 8000K Ice Blue Light - 2 Bulbs & 2 Ballasts : Amazon.com : Automotive OPT7 Blitz 35w HID Xenon Conversion Kit - 9006 - 8000K Ice Blue Light - 2 Bulbs & 2 Ballasts : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 08-01-2013, 11:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't offer any help on that, but in the mean time while you await an answer, I'd suggest looking through the lighting sticky as that's where that stuff usually gets saved.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...hting-faq.html
Old 08-01-2013, 11:48 PM
Launching!

i thought there were a couple vendors on here with hid's...
Old 08-02-2013, 12:08 AM
Launching!

Yea but no way that they're that price. And I've been reading nothing but great things about that brand so far from all my searches.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:30 AM
TECH Addict

HID 101: that kit is a DC kit you want an AC kit, google the difference, DC is crap thats why there so cheap. I would not recommend that kit, also what vehicle is it going in, helps to know this (assuming a camaro)?

Also please for everyones sake don't run an 8000k kit, especially if its DC ballasts, between the reduced output of a DC kit and the lumen drop off of being 8000k your likely to have about the same if not worse lighting then you have now, and thats not even going into the whole sticking HID's into Halogen housings issue, at the very least (if your a 98+ camaro) get the sonar projector headlights and stick the proper size HID's in them, not the right way but better then this crap.

most of the HID's in stock housing cars around here are 8000k and frankly it just looks bad, 8000k on DC ballast tend to have a hint of purple. If your gonna do lights do ones that actually give you more light.

As for your original question, wiring up HID's is about the easiest electrical work on the PLANET, the HID bulbs go in the headlights, they have a length of wire on them that ends with what are called AMP connectors, these AMP connectors plug into the ballast (in the kit your looking at) or there is a length of wire coming from the ballast with the matching AMP connectors, these only fit one way so you can't screw it up (plus there typically colored red and black or red and blue, so red goes to red and black or blue goes to black or blue) again the AMP connectors prevent you from cross connecting these. mount the ballast, from there you will have a "pigtail" (if you even need it, 9005/9006 connectors plug right in to the ballast) the pigtail comes with a plastic piece that matches the type of factory bulb connection you specified, plug the pig tails into the plastic piece and plug it to the factory wires and your done, tests the lights, if they don't work you may have gotten the black and red wires on the pig tail backwards. it is literally so simple a trained chimp could do it.

WATCH this video, if you buy the kit you linked this is what you can expect (any of the first 3 he shows on the car)

If you want a budget friendly HID setup get these ballast

Amazon.com: Zenex 35W AC Universal Replacement HID Digital Ballast (2 units): Automotive Amazon.com: Zenex 35W AC Universal Replacement HID Digital Ballast (2 units): Automotive

and these bulbs (same brand bulbs my brothers been using for like a year now)

Amazon.com: JLM 9006 6000K HID Xenon Bulb x 1 pair (HB4, Ultra White): Automotive Amazon.com: JLM 9006 6000K HID Xenon Bulb x 1 pair (HB4, Ultra White): Automotive

thats not even 20 bucks more then the kit your looking at and is WAY better.

Last edited by Daniel Richards; 08-02-2013 at 01:56 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:40 AM
Launching!

Hey thanks for the explanation, now I will narrow my search for A/C Kits

Next question is when you connect up the things, where would you store the ballasts? Like try to bundle it all up as snug as possible and double side tape it someone? That doesn't seem very safe lol Once again a newbie question lol
Old 08-04-2013, 12:44 AM
Launching!

I found this one for a decent price and it's an AC and 8k(which is what I want), Seems like a good deal?

Amazon.com: Zenex HID Conversion Kit 9006 8000K (Iceberg Blue): Automotive Amazon.com: Zenex HID Conversion Kit 9006 8000K (Iceberg Blue): Automotive

Also do I wanna try to get a 35w or a 55w? Or both of them would work fine in our cars(98z28)? Thanks again

Quick Reply: Beginner Help Please :)