Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Best Car Cover for Dust

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 07:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Car Cover for Dust

I'm looking for a lightweight car cover that will keep dust off my black ws6. Something as light and thin as a bed sheet...I am only concerned about dust as it is always garaged. Also, what is your guys procedure as to in between washes. Do you California duster, waterless wash, or detail spray?
Old 06-05-2016, 05:56 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

I can't say enough good about my CoverCraft Dustop series covers. Lightweight and thin they are not (not at all), but they're extremely resistant to passing dust. I have one for each of my garage queens, and both sit under it all winter (~6 months); underneath they are completely dust-free in the spring.

I do not ever wash either car. The '71 has never been washed in the decade I have owned it, and the '98 was last washed in April of 2005. For cleanings, I first go over them lightly with a car duster, then a detailer spray. I've seen excellent results using this method. These are not cars that have ever seen rain under my ownership, nor do they ever spend enough time outside to need a traditional wash.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I can't say enough good about my CoverCraft Dustop series covers. Lightweight and thin they are not (not at all), but they're extremely resistant to passing dust. I have one for each of my garage queens, and both sit under it all winter (~6 months); underneath they are completely dust-free in the spring.

I do not ever wash either car. The '71 has never been washed in the decade I have owned it, and the '98 was last washed in April of 2005. For cleanings, I first go over them lightly with a car duster, then a detailer spray. I've seen excellent results using this method. These are not cars that have ever seen rain under my ownership, nor do they ever spend enough time outside to need a traditional wash.

so whats the point of having them? just curious
Old 06-05-2016, 12:46 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Majestic9C1
so whats the point of having them? just curious
To prevent dust from settling on them during winter storage. These cars don't move for about 6 months every year, so why not keep them covered during that period?
Old 06-05-2016, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
To prevent dust from settling on them during winter storage. These cars don't move for about 6 months every year, so why not keep them covered during that period?
no I mean whats the point of having the cars when half the year they sit and the other half you dont get them outside enough to even wash them ...
Old 06-05-2016, 03:11 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I have a Coverking Coverguard for my M6 bird. It IS lightweight and thin. It's a universal cover but the #3 size is a perfect fit for an f-body. Keeps the dust off very well, and was only like $35 WalMart online. There's a thread about it in General LSX Discussion, I believe.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I have a Coverking Coverguard for my M6 bird. It IS lightweight and thin. It's a universal cover but the #3 size is a perfect fit for an f-body. Keeps the dust off very well, and was only like $35 WalMart online. There's a thread about it in General LSX Discussion, I believe.
Ok thanks I will check out that cover.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:02 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Majestic9C1
no I mean whats the point of having the cars when half the year they sit and the other half you dont get them outside enough to even wash them ...
What's the point in having a summer cabin/home that's only in use a few months of the year? What's the point in having an expensive dress coat that you might only wear 2-3 times per year? What's the point in having a collection of [insert any item here] that serves no useful daily purpose? Why do people do or have anything that isn't a requirement to survive?

Having said that, just because they don't get dirty enough to need a traditional soap and water wash doesn't mean I don't ever use them. Their purpose is local shows/events/competitions/cruise nights, nice weather weekend cruises, and something fun to look at in my garage. I can put 50 miles on one of these cars going to a local event or on a cruise, and all the car needs afterward is a duster/detailer spray clean up. No need for a full wash under these conditions, nor would I want to expose especially an older car (such as my '71) to any water unless absolutely necessary.

But of course that wasn't the point of this thread.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:27 PM
Teching In

I have a 2000 SS M6 'vert with less than 11,500 miles. It sits under a Dustop cover in my garage. I drive the car a few miles every few weeks. It's a garage queen and I like it that way.

I used to own a detailing business and highly recommend the Dustop cover. Not cheap yet more than worth it.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Here you go OP; check out my old thread. This car cover works perfectly.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-l...car-cover.html

Quick Reply: Best Car Cover for Dust