Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

I had an oil leak, so I decided to take my whole car apart.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
Thisis by far the best "how-to" for fixing an oil pan leak! Well done,awesome documentation, and I love how it just kept spiraling out of control. Itmay have been covered, but is there anything you would have done differently inanother go around?

Also, I can agree with the Blackheart sentiments, it sounds so good! The onlything I regret is that it's not 3". I know what they were going for, and myground clearance is awesome with the Blackheart. But why, oh why wouldn't youdo a 3"? It nags at me in the back of my mind every time I go WOT...

PsychoSid, are you paying attention?

Uhmmm,what are you trying to get at there buddy? That I'm taking to long? That I'mnot OCD enough? (we know that's not true). What?! Huh? What?! Get off my back!I'm doing the best I can!!!

Old 07-27-2016, 12:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great great work man ! I can't wait to start addressing my engine bay, hopefully I will get the opportunity to when I do this next motor swap. Just having a dry engine is so pleasant when you are underneath it
Old 07-27-2016, 01:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
This is by far the best "how-to" for fixing an oil pan leak! Well done, awesome documentation, and I love how it just kept spiraling out of control. It may have been covered, but is there anything you would have done differently in another go around?
I would buy a stock car and put a supercharger on it. Haha. If I was to just go back to the point where I started this project last spring, I would have started by dropping the whole powertrain out of the bottom. I would have paid someone to do the painting of the engine bay. I ended up spending as much in materials and equipment as I could have spent paying a pro. I would have spent the extra few hundred dollars and had the heads ported. I would have also asked the tuning shop who was doing their GM tuning before I booked my appointment instead of assuming it was still the person people recommended me to several months before.

Originally Posted by 35th-anv-ss
What did you use to clean everything?
A boat load of Simple Green and Gunk Engine Degreaser. I used the blue scratchless Scotch Brite pads. For the heads and deck, I used Permatex Gasket Remover.

Originally Posted by MyFirstLS1
Great great work man ! I can't wait to start addressing my engine bay, hopefully I will get the opportunity to when I do this next motor swap. Just having a dry engine is so pleasant when you are underneath it
It's nice not having to dawn a hazmat suit when doing simple work to the car now.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Awesome job man. I hope to someday follow you in a complete redo of the entire car. Once again awesome work.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:00 PM
TECH Regular

I dug around and found a few more pics people might find humorous.

What do you do when it's 100* outside but you really want to bust out the microfiber and clay bar your fenders? This is where having an understanding wife pays dividends.

Considering the condition of everything in the engine bay, I was shocked to find my knock sensors were in perfect condition.

If you were wondering how I supported the motor when I reinstalled the covers, here you go!

I replaced the oil barbell while I was in there and polished the part of the crank that rides the rear cover seal with some fine emery cloth to remove the groove that develops over time. I was super ocd about every surface a seal went being 100% clean and defect free. I didn't want to have to redo anything, especially once it was back in the car. It's also satisfying knowing that literally every bolt on the car has been hand torqued. That might have been excessive, but I was more than done with finding loose stuff.

Last edited by RebelExtrm02; 02-24-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 318 Likes on 175 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Awesome thread. Really makes me wish I could do something like this to mine.

The attention to detail and work is phenomenal!
Old 07-27-2016, 06:13 PM
rwb
TECH Enthusiast

Don't tell your friends that you did this to fix an oil leak, they will wait until your car is alone and pour some oil on the ground beneath it. Nice car and story though.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

One of the best threads I've been to lately! Talk about delivering! Your work was amazing and you did a ton of things that I've half-assed in my car. I'm ashamed lol

Also, I'm pretty sure this is the exact definition of "snowballing".
Old 07-27-2016, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

man, i love your build thread. the attention to detail is amazing. great job sir
Old 07-28-2016, 07:02 AM
Teching In

I can't wait to see your next project entitled "I heard a rattle inside the car, now check out my custom interior". Who says OCD is a bad thing. So are you going to be selling a modified car anytime soon cause I wouldn't hesitate to buy if it came from your garage. Great job and great write up.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Awesome job and great post. Your story sounds a lot like mine.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:56 PM
FormerVendor

That homemade baffle is impressive work! It seems you have something that many people are lacking-motivation. Keep up the good work!
Old 07-29-2016, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

this is an awesome build!! props to you for your determination to get it done! I was curious, what size bolts did you order from bolt depot to replace things in the engine bay from the old rusty ones? also, did you get chrome ones, or do they even offer those?
Old 07-29-2016, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow your a boss bro! Great work, I know it took some mad hours!
Old 07-29-2016, 03:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by YellowTA1
this is an awesome build!! props to you for your determination to get it done! I was curious, what size bolts did you order from bolt depot to replace things in the engine bay from the old rusty ones? also, did you get chrome ones, or do they even offer those?
I ordered many sizes, most in 18-8 stainless. Most of the bolts in the engine bay are 6mm diameter metric bolts with a 1.00mm pitch. I printed out this sheet:

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-i...read-Sizes.pdf

And compared each bolt to it to find the thread pitch and then used a ruler to determine the diameter and length. I then picked washers that had listed diameters that were close to what I was replacing. I will warn that the larger washers, such as the the ones securing the fenders and airbox, were a bit thinner than I had preferred. They did concave a little once tightened.

I attached two screenshots of each of my orders for the bolts I used in and under my engine bay. This covered almost everything except my throttle body, intake, and engine covers. I used zinc bolts for the things I felt needed to be more strong and secure such as the hood latch and hinges. Please use this as just an example and not a shopping list.
Attached Thumbnails I had an oil leak, so I decided to take my whole car apart.-bolt1.png   I had an oil leak, so I decided to take my whole car apart.-bolt2.png  

Last edited by RebelExtrm02; 07-29-2016 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great job man. One heck of a job!
Old 07-29-2016, 06:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by roth2000
I can't wait to see your next project entitled "I heard a rattle inside the car, now check out my custom interior". Who says OCD is a bad thing. So are you going to be selling a modified car anytime soon cause I wouldn't hesitate to buy if it came from your garage. Great job and great write up.
Honestly, if Sonic Electronix hadn't ticked me off, I'd something to show in that category. I have no desire to customize the interior, given it's in perfect condition, but I was going to do some resonance dampening and mild sound proofing that would have had me gutting the interior. I ended up cancelling that order. I went to a more reliable source and I settled for replacing the factory amp, speakers, and adding a sub in a stealth box. I haven't replaced the headunit yet though. I sidelined that while I was figuring out the tuning situation. I will resume that project shortly though.

As for selling it, nah, not anytime soon. I've driven it a few times now with everything lined out and am having entirely too much fun with it.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by YellowTA1
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...l#post19180974
Old 07-30-2016, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

fantastic job! Pat yourself on the back
Old 07-31-2016, 04:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Damn oil leaks man I tell you what.

Quick Reply: I had an oil leak, so I decided to take my whole car apart.