Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Changing color scheme of my interior.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Changing color scheme of my interior.

I have a 99 Hugger Orange Z28 with Tan Interior and Tan Leather. I am going to be changing the seats to Grey and Orange Leather. Thing is, the rest of my interior is still Tan.

Instead of replacing every last Tan trim piece, I was thinking of just removing all the panels, sanding them down and blasting them with paint for plastic. Is this advisable or would you recommend just replacing each panel?
Old 10-02-2016, 12:50 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could do that or wrap all the plastic with vinyl
Old 10-02-2016, 04:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

You can go Color Glo....
Old 10-02-2016, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brother had a 74 Duster with tan interior that he swapped over to black using adhesion promoter and paint for vinyl / plastic. It looked great and held up well the rest of the time he had the car.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What ever you do, don't use cheapo brand plastic paints for this job. It is too much work to have to remove peeling paint off the interior to refinish it again in a couple of years if it lasts that long).
I've refinished 4 complete interiors since the 90s and have had good luck with durability on each of them by using SEM Vinyl Dye. Another brand that I know for sure will hold up is Color Bond LVP. A couple of buddies back home in GA have used them for years. I am actually in the process of using this brand on the interior I'm refinishing now.

If you prep it properly and use good quality materials it will last you for pretty much the life of the car. I had 10 years on one car before I sold it.

Quick Reply: Changing color scheme of my interior.