Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My car got keyed...now what

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My car got keyed...now what

Yesterday in a parking lot while I was at work, my car got keyed on the rear passenger side fender...about 5 inches long....down to the metal.

What is the proper way to fix this? I figure touch up paint will look like poo, and if I don't do anything it will rust eventually. Can a body shop just touch it up, or will they have to repaint the whole fender.

I just don't understand what urges people to f*&k with other peoples cars...that's just about as bad as it gets
Old 08-19-2004, 03:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the club. Those little ******* are jelous pieces of ****. Mine got keyed more than a year ago and I dont have any money to fix it. I got keyed on the passenger side door, about 2.5 feet long, and on the passenger side rear fender, about 2 feet long. Looks like ****, but I cant do anyhting about it. It will probably happen again if I fix it.

Anyways, I think the only way to do it right is to have a body shop re-paint the whole fender. They might have other options, but this one will probably look the best.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

Angry That Sucks!!

Sorry to hear about the keying to your car!!!! That sucks!!! I think the only proper way to repair this would be to have the whole fender painted. I may be wrong, but I think that's the way to go. People who do that SH*#, REALLY **** me off. People that tailgate really **** me off too. BAD!!! This dude was tailgating me on the way to work in my Monte SS, which is my daily driver, the other morning and wouldn't say a word to me or EVEN look at me when we both got in the Dunkin Donuts parking lot. I was staring at him and laughing!!! That's just DISRESPECT!! I usually see him the morning, so maybe I'll have the pleasure to run into him again?? Won't be his lucky day!!! Anyways, sorry about your car and hope all works out well for you!!!!
Old 08-19-2004, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

Take it to a body shop. I say they'd probably have to repaint the whole fender as well. At least you didn't buy a car with key marks already on them. More I look at it though, the more things I see. Just how it goes though. Good luck.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:55 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

To properly fix it, the panel will have to repainted, here is something you can try (its an exeprt from a post I made about rock chips):
To start off:
* Give the car a good wash (probably with a good car wash soap or with Dawn, but you must be sure to wax when your repair is done)
* Use Bug and Tar or some other stronger, yet clear-coat safe, cleaner to get the left over bug bits and other stuck on stuff.
* Use a clay bar (I use Mothers)

For the rock chips and pits, this is what I do:
* I use the small bottle of touch-up paint that came with the car (it has a built-in small paintbrush)
* You want to layer the touch-up paint until it matches or exceedes the level of the surrounding paint. It may take 2 or 3 layers. Dont glob it on all at once. Put on a layer and let it dry for 30-60 minutes before the next layer.
* Let it dry overnight
* Wet sand the touched-up spot with 2000 grit sand paper to make it smooth and less noticeable. 2000 grit may be a bit high to start off with. It depends how smoothly you applied the touch-up paint. I wouldn't go any lower than 1500 (or maybe 1000 for a quick leveling pass). I usually make sure I apply the paint smoothly and use 2000 grit sand paper. Make sure not to burn through the paint! The point is to make the damage less noticable. Most of the time you will not be able to make the repairs invisible (but they will be less noticable). This takes some practice, so be careful. Try somewhere inconspicuous first. This step is difficult to explain.
* Then buff the wet sanded area by hand back to a shine. I am using 3M Perfect-It II Rubbing Compound followed by a Meguiar's polish.
* Wash the repaired areas again to get rig of and left over compound/grit/etc.
Then, of course, wax it.

Its more of a Band-Aid, but it will look better than it is now and if done right, it will be barely noticeable. I made some of my rock chips disappear.

Last edited by VIP1; 05-23-2005 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry to hear that. I had my entire car keyed less than a year ago and got a brand new paint job out of it so it worked out for me. I would see how much it costs(biggest estimate you can find) then find out what your deductible is and see if its worth reporting it to your insurance. Because it was keyed and not hit while driving its considered comprehension and your rate will not go up.
Old 08-22-2004, 12:30 PM
Restricted User

The insurnace not going up is only so true. Usually after the first claim for vandalism it wont, after that though it usually will. I had my entire car repainted becuase somone keyed the **** out of it. It cost 4200 and i claimed insurnace.

Quick Reply: My car got keyed...now what