Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

painting valve covers

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 01:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default painting valve covers

what type of paint do i need to paint my valve covers, also hopefully this isnt a dumb question but what all needs to be done to take off the valve covers, also is there a certain torque i need to set each bolt to when i put em back on? i tried searching but no luck...
Old 11-23-2004, 08:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PewterNHRA2001
what type of paint do i need to paint my valve covers, also hopefully this isnt a dumb question but what all needs to be done to take off the valve covers, also is there a certain torque i need to set each bolt to when i put em back on? i tried searching but no luck...
I went to the local Auto parts store & bought a hight temp gloss black engine paint. It worked real good on mine. Taking them off is no problem, all you will have to do is unplug the spark plug wires from the coil paks, remove the 5-6 bolts on the coil pak bracket. That way you dont have to remove each one you can pull all 4 at one time. (Sorry for the confusion) Then just remove the bolts holding the valve cover on. Take it off & paint it. As far a torque specs. go, im not really sure. I just put mine as tight as I could get them with out stripping them.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For easy removal, only install 2 bolts on each coil pack when you put them back on!
Old 11-23-2004, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Word of advice: The last screw on the passenger side valve cover is a nightmare to remove. It almost seems impossible. Do not reinstall that screw. Everyone will be better off.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

Browse through the link below and search for the section abount painting valve covers. Hope it helps.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm
Old 11-23-2004, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just make sure that you either dremel or sand the surface... I didn't and mine looked ok, but they had pimples..

Quick Reply: painting valve covers