Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

best to get paint to really shine

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best to get paint to really shine

My cars paint is not in the best of condition, has a few nicks and what not. It is parked outside all day everyday, in the sun, not driven a week at a time. What is a good product for me to get my paint to sharpen up and clean up, but also protect. Pics in the sig are from a week ago.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I dont see any pics in your sig but what I would do is wash it, clay bar it, Put a couple coats of color back on it, and then Z1 it, Z5 it, Z2 it, and then buy a car cover. If you don't want to use the zaino, just get some McGuires NXT wax, that stuff is second only to zaino.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

Nothing will make your paint shine like proper prep work. You first need a good paint polish (Menzerna, Poorboy's, Einszett, etc.). Polishing your paint reduces swirls, scratches, and marring and allows for better depth, wetness, and shine. Then you need to apply a good sealant for long lasting protection (Zaino or Klasse for greatest durability) or a less-lasting carnauba wax.

Your routine should go something like this:

Wash
Claybar
Wash
Polish paint
Seal/wax paint

This website contains some great tips for every aspect of detailing your car: www.bettercarcare.com I would suggest that you spend a little time reading up to optimize your outcome

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:36 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

First thing that I would do is buy a car cover, especially if its sitting for week or so outside in Texas heat. Then do everything ZaneO says.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

techically speaking you dont need a car cover but its kinda convenient to have one. I live down a dirt road and my ta was on blocks for 2 months while i did a clutch install & had the trans worked on . By the end of the 2nd month the vehicle was dusty even after several days of rain. regardless of the water sheeting off the car when i was done fixing it the first thing i did was wash it and the finish was still slick to the touch and there were NO SWIRLS. To get to the point proper prep work is the key to making your vehicle no matter where it sits (not under a tree) take your time to do things right and your finish will never let you down.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Man, a dirt road must suck. Do you stop once you are on a pavement road and dust it down? That would drive me insane!
Old 01-09-2005, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

no i wash it about every week or so and it never really gets dirty just dusty. but if i stay in the city w/my GF then itll stay pretty clean for about 2 weeks then i just spray it down w/ some waterless wash and use the NXT booster wax.

Quick Reply: best to get paint to really shine