Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I have an idea. I would like opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 03:56 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I have an idea. I would like opinions.

I would like to make a stainless steel stripe kit for my car. Here are my plans in order:

1 - buff the entire car after pulling off the pimpness ZR28 badges.
2 - install new 20GA (thinner than my 16GA emblem metal. I want a lower profile so that the rise is minimal.) 316 high polished stainless steel racing stripes to hood, hatch, and top of car.
3 - have the hood, hatch, and top of the car cleared again to cover stripe kit with clearcoat, and buffed to remove orange peel.
4 - Top this new look off with some black halos.
5 - install custom Z28 badges that I will pimply make myself. Mine will ROCK!

I would like to do this process without having to re-clear the car, but frankly, I would hate to get a scratch in my metal stripe kit because it would suck to have to repair that.

My thoughts on this are simple... I think it would be awesome, and one fine looking car. Please let me have some info guys. Thanks in advance.

It's time. I have began a new venture and this would be awesome, and if I can pull it off, I may be able to sell some kits to you guys.

BTW, I drive a black 99 Z28.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

I wouldnt do it but props for trying new things if you do.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How well would clear survive over a stainless . . . Plus I think the stainless would move 'different' than the paint , and would crack along the edges . . .
Old 03-15-2005, 09:17 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
How well would clear survive over a stainless . . . Plus I think the stainless would move 'different' than the paint , and would crack along the edges . . .
The emblems would be secured before they are cleared over to keep this from happening. I still have to experiment with some test stainless to see if the clear will hold up well. Nothing is for sure right now, I am just throwing some ideas around.