Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fresh paint on the Spoiler...when to wax

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 03:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fresh paint on the Spoiler...when to wax

Like the title says...I just had the spoiler repainted (had some chips/scratches) and was told to wait @ least 60 days before putting ANY wax on it...WTF.

It is time for the full 6 step detailing...I can't wait that long. If I would have known this, I wouldda waited until summer is over and the car was garaged. Is this absolutely the truth...is there any way to speed up the process (heat gun, constant sun...etc). I live in Alabama, and it is already getting hot with alot of sun, when it is not raining.

Any help from some experienced paint pros would be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance for any advice.
Old 04-02-2005, 03:52 PM
TECH Addict

Paint from the factory is cured at very high temperatures, but body shops usually don't use that same process, so the paint will need a little time.

Generally, it's best to follow your painter's advice. Being fresh it shouldn't need too much in the way of polishing. Go ahead and detail the rest of the car and use something like 3M Imperial Hand Glaze on the spoiler. It is body-shop safe and will provide a *little* bit of protection. It really shouldn't be any big deal to wait.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

Listen to your painter. Freshly sprayed paint dries to the touch very rapidly but there are still alot of processes going on there before the paint is fully cured. Basically some of the solvents in the paint will take 30-60 days to fully evaporate and if you put wax on it, it will prevent that "flash off" from happening. As said above, if your painter did at least a 1/2 way decent job, you shouldn't need to polish it.

Bryan
parbreak
Old 04-02-2005, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

you can use 3m finishing glaze as your final topper on the spoiler also you should be able to use zaino as he told me once it is paintable.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can also use meguires #7 glaze. When I had my 67 painted my painter told me to wait 3 months. It must be the type of paint he used.

Quick Reply: Fresh paint on the Spoiler...when to wax