Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Repainting my baby...need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 01:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repainting my baby...need opinions

Hey guys I just got a job at a local body shop which I am soo psyched for cuz its an awesome summer job, the pay is amazing for an eighteen year old and I get to work on cars all day which is what I would do for free anyway. Well I am going to be spending a lot of time in the paint booth/room and by the end of the summer I will be repainting my entire car myself using their facility and equipment. I love my black bird and I am definately going to keep the paint a black but I want to make it very unique as well. What are some suggestions that you guys have about different types of blacks or any ideas besides striping that would make my car stand out. Also any tips from some body or paint guys would be apreciated.

Some ideas I had are:
1. no decals: the bird on the front plate, PONTIAC on headlight and Ram Air all painted on.
2. Some kind of flake in the black paint
3. Some true fire flames out of the nostrils like that amazing true fire guy's car
4. Ghost flames in a silvery white
(some or all of these ideas combined)
Old 05-30-2005, 08:37 PM
Fiery Features Director

Originally Posted by 01BlackBird01
Hey guys I just got a job at a local body shop which I am soo psyched for cuz its an awesome summer job, the pay is amazing for an eighteen year old and I get to work on cars all day which is what I would do for free anyway. Well I am going to be spending a lot of time in the paint booth/room and by the end of the summer I will be repainting my entire car myself using their facility and equipment. I love my black bird and I am definately going to keep the paint a black but I want to make it very unique as well. What are some suggestions that you guys have about different types of blacks or any ideas besides striping that would make my car stand out. Also any tips from some body or paint guys would be apreciated.

Some ideas I had are:
1. no decals: the bird on the front plate, PONTIAC on headlight and Ram Air all painted on.
2. Some kind of flake in the black paint
3. Some true fire flames out of the nostrils like that amazing true fire guy's car
4. Ghost flames in a silvery white
(some or all of these ideas combined)
If you are going to repaint it yourself, I would start out with something simple until you have a STRONG background of painting flames and so forth. The flake would look good or maybe some simple stripes. Keep it clean and simple. I have seen some really talented painters that couldn't do flames. That takes a very experienced person to master.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Since you're 18, I'm gonna guess that this is your daily driver. Consider if flames will be too much for your daily driver or not. They look great when compared against track cars, but if you park it next to a buncha benzes and ferarri's it doesn't look as good as a clean paint job.

Therefore, I recommend either the clean look, the flake look, or at the outside the ghost flame look.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

cant go wrong with flames, but you gotta get an experienced person to do them for you, good luck!!!
Old 05-30-2005, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I saw a black WS6 with a huge firebird logo on the hood (wingtips were on the fenders I believe) that was done in chameleon paint. Looked absolutely amazing.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Razzak
Since you're 18, I'm gonna guess that this is your daily driver. Consider if flames will be too much for your daily driver or not. They look great when compared against track cars, but if you park it next to a buncha benzes and ferarri's it doesn't look as good as a clean paint job.

Therefore, I recommend either the clean look, the flake look, or at the outside the ghost flame look.
Ever since i painted my hood with true fire i have had way more attention than i ever wanted. I cant even count how many times i have been followed to wherever i was going just so they could get a up close look and find out where i had them done. No doubt that they arent as "classy" as some as your mercedes and ferraris but Im not so sure they dont get the attention that a custom true fire job will get you. So if you arent into being stopped at every light or people following you around town than i would go with something simple like a pearl on top of the black.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I little flake might be nice.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:41 AM
TECH Regular

IMPO, I think a flake on a black car will always make the car look "dust." If you are going to do black...do black...
Ed
Old 05-31-2005, 05:49 PM
Teching In

yeah i think i'm just going to see what I like in the next few months and prob go with the clean look and just experiment with different types of blacks...thanks for the suggestions

Quick Reply: Repainting my baby...need opinions