Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

wetsanding and polishing

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default wetsanding and polishing

Hey I need you guys' help. The rear taillights on my T/A are kind of stained and not in that good of shape. I want to wetsand and polish them to get them back into good shape. Is there a procedure to do that?? I really don't know what I am doing, what do I use? I also want to remove the Trans Am decal between the taillights and replace it because it is fading, how do I remove it?? I also want to blackout the taillights, but i want to wetsand and polish them first so that they are in good shape if i ever want to remove them. What should I use to black them out. I have heard of Just buying the plastic blackouts, or should I use a spray on blackout?? There are a few types out there. Please give some help. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Contact PontiacFan from this site, you wont be disapointed.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i know it's a stupid question but what's the best way to contact him?
Old 07-20-2005, 06:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nah man, It's not a stupid ? You simply go to the member list at the top of the page find his name and send him a PM.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad I can help on this one... plastic headlights are very easy to wetsand and buff.... do it just like it's clear coat. Start with a medium/fine grade sand paper and wetsand till the blemishes are just about out... then finish with a very fine grit. Brieflyly buff with an electric or pneumatic buffer (and some compound) and you're set. They will clean up LIKE NEW. Repeat the process if necessary. I have done dozens of lights that way... a buddy of mine works in a dealership and saves the lightly blemished lights for me from his insurance jobs... I buff them and sell them on eBay from time to time... never had any complaints.

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
Hey I need you guys' help. The rear taillights on my T/A are kind of stained and not in that good of shape. I want to wetsand and polish them to get them back into good shape. Is there a procedure to do that?? I really don't know what I am doing, what do I use? I also want to remove the Trans Am decal between the taillights and replace it because it is fading, how do I remove it?? I also want to blackout the taillights, but i want to wetsand and polish them first so that they are in good shape if i ever want to remove them. What should I use to black them out. I have heard of Just buying the plastic blackouts, or should I use a spray on blackout?? There are a few types out there. Please give some help. Thanks.