Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I have tinted many windows, but have questions..

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 02:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question I have tinted many windows, but have questions..

I have run into so many obsticles while tinting...

Whats the best/ quickest way to do a good job?

I think my problem is i just use Junk quality film. Wal-mart ****.
I dont have access to bulk.

1.What weather conditions are best?
2.Let the tint sit for how long? IN the sun or out?
3.Do you tint a car's windows in cool air and take out to sit in sun? I noticed small air bubbles forming all over once dried.. whats up with that?.
4. How can people be so fast!?
5 I always get one spot that will never stop bubbling... Do i heat it with a heat gun, or what!?
6. I know dawn dish soap is the ticket, but can you ever put too much dawn in the mixture? If so, i suppose it just takes longer to dry? I dont have a problem with rolling my windows down after it initially sets 2 hours or so..
7. The bubbles are the main issue.. Along the edges mainly are the problem areas... I tried a heat gun once, but it seemed to make it worse!

I have used some 2.5% tint before, and EVERY flaw comes out... I want those damn little bubbles GONE! I get a wood when i look at really good tint jobs, as i know how frustrating it is to make look good!
Old 07-21-2005, 07:04 PM
11 Second Club

Window prep before tinting is the key to no tiny bubbles. One tiny piece of lint or spec of dust and you will get the bubbles. Quality of film makes quite a bit of difference too. I used to have a lot of problems with gila and other home improvement brands. Check around. Some shops will sell you film by the foot.

I have tinted in all weather conditions, and it doesn't seem to make much difference. Usually tint in a garage or shop, and then park outside to let dry when finished. Usually one full day when it is sunny out, and then I can roll the widows down. I could do it sooner, but better safe than sorry.

Everyone has their preferences, but I don't like dawn dish soap. I only use original joy. Mix in just enough soap to make the water feel slick when you spray it on your fingers. Doesn't take very much. Too much soap makes it a lot harder to get the bubbles out, because it takes a long time to dry the soap out compared to just water.

When you get a bubble that comes up from the edge that won't stay down, use a heat gun on the outside of the window, and hold it back a little ways. You don't want it to get too hot. If you are not comfortable with the heat gun, use a hair dryer. Make sure you keep spraying a lot of soapy water on the inside while you are using the heat gun. Using a squegee at the same time. Lots of soapy water! The heat gun will dry the water fast, and a squegee on dry tint will give you a ton of problems.

Hope some of this helps.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

every tint question i had was answered here:

http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index.php

you don't think the 150 bucks or so is worth a professional job? compared to other labor prices that are charged for professional work (electrical, mechanical, body work), tint is one of the few mods i think is worth the price that pros charge.

Last edited by mongoose; 07-21-2005 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just pay someone to do it, you will be happy you did.
James
Old 07-22-2005, 01:58 PM
TECH Resident

Xtremespeed: Thanks alot! Yeah i have wrecked a job or two when the tint has dried and ran over it with a squeege! Sucks! Learned though! Thanks again!

mongoose: Cool link! Thanks a bunch!

Schwindj: Thats the lazy way out! I like challenges!
Old 07-22-2005, 05:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mongoose
tint is one of the few mods i think is worth the price that pros charge.
exactly, especially since any worthwhile tinter will stand behind his work totally......my guy gives a lifetime guarantee on scratching coloration and peeling, etc, i've had countless vehicles done by him and never one problem ever!!

Quick Reply: I have tinted many windows, but have questions..