Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Identifying an SS hood as OEM or aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 05:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Identifying an SS hood as OEM or aftermarket?

Are there any telltale signs anywhere on the hood identifying it one way or the other? I found a smokin' deal today, possibly my best parts score ever. I responded to a local guy parting out whats left of a 2000 SS. I wanted wheels and hood so I e-mailed. Tells me no wheels, hoods a little dirty but he wants it outta there for $100. I'm thinking "is this guy's zero button sticking?". Well I go down there today, hood is filthy, enough scratches that I wouldn't just slap it on even if it was the right color, but totally intact and structurally perfect. Vent in tact, hardware, everything. I washed it up and it's aces, it's just gonna have to get sprayed. I guess he bought a wrecked SS to use the LS1 for another project.

It's totally awesome and great for the hobby when you can score parts like that off someone who got what they needed out of a deal, and will pass the rest on to another enthusiast without gouging the hell out of them. It's f'n ridiculous what these things go for on Ebay and even the classifieds here. Anyways, is there a way to confirm it was OEM? I'd have snagged it either way, but it would be nice to know.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:09 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

The OEM ones have the circular air ducts underneath and they are smooth underneath. They just look more "finished" on both sides. The nuts/bolts should also be metric on the OEM one, while aftermarket hoods use standard thread nuts bolts to secure everything.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The gm part number is also stamped on the underside.