Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

fiberglassing passengers side airbag hole?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 10:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default fiberglassing passengers side airbag hole?

never done "real" fiberglassing before (I have used "fiberglass" epoxy and bondo when I smoothed over the cup holder and ashtray)........while the dash is out for a full rewire of the car, I want to fiberglass over and smooth where the passenger's side airbag "cover" was (that thing has never sat smooth)........

so the question is:

what would you use and how would you do it (I just have a big hole there....the old "cover" is out)?

note: I DO NOT have airbags anymore and DO NOT want to hear how I should have them.......if you feel you need to tell me about the safety issues related to not having them please KEEP IT TO YOURSELF......thank you
Old 08-05-2005, 10:56 AM
Launching!

Default hmm

that would be a good idea, since i dont have mine anymore either.....i was just thinking a dash cover
Old 08-05-2005, 01:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's mine, I'm further along that that...It'll be painted within a week, those pics are about 80% complete....I'm not at 95 just final sanding, and gonna put a light layer of glaze....then DuraTech primer since it builds good, and it will flex....
Old 08-05-2005, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by XxXTransAmXxX

There's mine, I'm further along that that...It'll be painted within a week, those pics are about 80% complete....I'm not at 95 just final sanding, and gonna put a light layer of glaze....then DuraTech primer since it builds good, and it will flex....

damn, that's exactly what i'm about to do. except that i plan on covering it with vinyl instead of paint.

Nice Job!
Old 08-05-2005, 09:58 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
never done "real" fiberglassing before (I have used "fiberglass" epoxy and bondo when I smoothed over the cup holder and ashtray)........while the dash is out for a full rewire of the car, I want to fiberglass over and smooth where the passenger's side airbag "cover" was (that thing has never sat smooth)........

so the question is:

what would you use and how would you do it (I just have a big hole there....the old "cover" is out)?

note: I DO NOT have airbags anymore and DO NOT want to hear how I should have them.......if you feel you need to tell me about the safety issues related to not having them please KEEP IT TO YOURSELF......thank you

if your going to fiberglass over where the air bag was then your going to need to fiberglass/smooth the entire dash or else it will be textured on one part and not the other
Old 08-05-2005, 11:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 69vette
if your going to fiberglass over where the air bag was then your going to need to fiberglass/smooth the entire dash or else it will be textured on one part and not the other

true......

oh well.....guess I get to do the entire dash then....

XxXTransAmXxX, did you use any special fiberglass (resins, cloth material, etc.) or just the "standard" old stuff? What do you have supporting the fiberglass over the hole (or do you have the air bag "cover" under you fiberglass)?
Old 08-06-2005, 12:48 AM
FormerVendor

I would assume he left the air bag cover below it. You just use standard fiberglass and resin and be sure to scratch the dash up real good before laying any of the fiberglass on it or else it will not adhere very well.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used 80 grit and spent some time in prep work with the dash, get it good and roughed up, then you must get it CLEAN. Then I used Fiberglass Resin, as it's tougher, and harder I used it to cover it all, then I used filler on top of that since it's easier to sand, to get everything "true and flat" Then I will use a GLAZE to fill in the lil pockets...I am going to shoot a "DuraTech" primer on it, sicne it is known for it's build, and flex properties, this is what alot of HIGH END stereo shops use whenever they fiberglass anything...Then I will be sure to put flex agent in the base, and top coat...As for the hole, 69's correct I left the current one in there...

My dash still right now, if you are careful not to put too much hardener in it you can press on it and it will still dimple like the factory dash! So make sure you use a flex agent on it, if you were to paint it, but if your covering it in vinyl then it wouldn't matter, if you went through all those steps...nor would you need to cover the hole dash with resin if you are going to cover it with a material...

Quick Reply: fiberglassing passengers side airbag hole?