Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HID/Xenon Conversion - Inside please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 12:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post HID/Xenon Conversion - Inside please!

Hi everyone,
I'm installing a set of HID's in my T/A. Has anyone installed HID's and retained the stock headlight wiring? In other words, remove the stock low beam bulb, and attach the HID ballast directly to the 2 stock wires that ran into the low beam.

As it has been stated, HID's use less juice than stock lights, except during the "startup" when they use a bit more. Will our wiring stand up to the "startup" phase? Lots of folks on other forums are using their stock wiring with good results, but what about an F-body? I'm expecting a lot of people to jump in and say "the stock wiring was not designed for HID's", but does anyone have first hand experience that we can go off of? Any info would be great, thanks!
Old 08-11-2005, 01:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do firebirds use replacement bulbs or sealed beams?
Old 08-11-2005, 02:02 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Sealed Beams.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

yep, stock lowbeam is 4703, stock high beam is 4701, but there are really no good replacement bulbs that will fit. you can convert to H7 with the conversion from eurolights, but still not fantastic, which is why I decided on the HID's. Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 08-11-2005, 06:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://firehawk.jonbroomfield.com/hidinfo/

Above is a link someone off the site posted awhile back w/ a TA and HIDs. I dont remember who posted this, but there's an email hyperlink towards the bottom of the page.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

He used a pair of relays and a wiring harness.... but people with other brands of cars are just "re-fusing" the stock headlight fuse to ~30amps (or 2 x 15amp, if they're fused separately), sticking with the stock headlight wiring, and reporting no problems. Any reason why we couldn't do that?
Old 08-11-2005, 10:15 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Ling_650vette
http://firehawk.jonbroomfield.com/hidinfo/

Above is a link someone off the site posted awhile back w/ a TA and HIDs. I dont remember who posted this, but there's an email hyperlink towards the bottom of the page.
Originally Posted by tiresmokeLS1
yep, stock lowbeam is 4703, stock high beam is 4701, but there are really no good replacement bulbs that will fit. you can convert to H7 with the conversion from eurolights, but still not fantastic, which is why I decided on the HID's. Anyone have any experience with this?
Here is a post I made a while back with links to threads with plenty of info on installing HID in Firebirds:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....76&postcount=5

There is also a link there on how to make your own sealed-beam conversion units.