Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

gas on paint

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 08:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas on paint

we had a big snow here in kansas city...almost a foot. i was at work when it started, (wouldn't have driven to work had the forcast been correct!). Anyway, i tried to drive it home after work and got stuck. Ended up leaving it in a parking lot over night...the next day i came back to shovel it out and realized i was VERY low on gas. Walked up to a nearby gas station to get a gas can. Anyway, as i'm pouring the gas into the car from this shitty gas can, i got a decent amount of gasoline on the side of my car where it dripped down the side from pouring too fast, (i even took my time, 5 minutes to empty 2.5 gallons into the car). So the question is, is that gonna hurt my paint too much? I plan on washing it off as soon as i can get my car to a carwash, (possibly today). At least its not baking in the sun on there. Its 2 degrees out so what ever got on there is frozen.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:10 AM
12 Second Club

You should have grabbed some snow and rubbed it where the gas got on it. It shouldn't hurt it but it's not gonna help it any either.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:38 AM
TECH Resident

Go wash it with a towel and soap and re apply wax. It won't strip the paint just from spilling some on it but I'd get the residue off, I'm sure the wax on that spot is gone as well.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

what about the clear coat?
Old 12-09-2005, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

It should be ok as long as you clean it off today. Don't leave it for too long. and I would polish up the area after you clean it.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:24 PM
Launching!

it will damage the clear coat over time but if you clean it all off and dont leave it on for a long time it will be fine. Id also recommend doing a polish on it also. One of my step dads friends has an old ford and i cannot remember how but gas used to always run down the side of the fender and it screwed up the paint where it ran. It looked like when you use 2 different types of paint on each other and it cracks. But that took a long time. It should be fine.

Quick Reply: gas on paint