Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Screen-placement Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screen-placement Ideas?

Hey guys, I posted not long ago asking about preferences on GPS system in our cars and after seeing Meissen's CarPC here I am pretty sure that a full-blown integrated computer is the way to go. Slap in a WirelessG card and what could be more interesting than seeing "Camaro" listed in my home networking list. I have a wide range of parts from desktops and I have a whole laptop with a 14.1" screen that I am willing to rip apart. Thing is... I'm not willing to mangle the dash as much as Meissen did and realizing just how cramped the interior really is leaves me wondering what size screen I can integrate - with minimum "plastic surgery" - and where to put it... The easiest thing that I came up with was a 2.5" LCD that could be mounted on the driver side door next to the wheel. That may work for a GPS but not for computer functions, i cant think of a single program that would work at 400x200... Then I started to think about the TV series 'Viper' and how they had a transformation sequence to bring out the car's features So....maybe I could cut into the top of the dash... cut a rectangle of dash that will be motorized on rollers on a track in the dash and will lift slightly so that it can slide up and towards the windshield. Then have another little bit of mechanization that will raise a screen out. This retractability makes it so that impared visibility is only temporary, the screen is really only necessary for choosing MP3's and setting a GPS course, the car'll talk to tell directions (ideally). Not to mention it will retain the stock looks 'for the most part'. But! I dont know how deep that'd need to go into the dash, nor how much stuff currently resides there...not to mention it would take the craftsmanship of a fine swiss watch to get it to work properly, but... anyways, what do you guys think?

I've done a lot of modding with computers in the past 5 years, so I can play with plexiglass and a dremel well enough but this is my first time even thinking about touching my baby, so comments, suggestions, experience...any of that would be appreciated, thanx!
Old 12-11-2005, 03:44 PM
Staging Lane

Well guys, the ice melted off my car today so I was able to get in and do some rough estimated measurements, and it looks like that one part of dash right above the vents is large enough that i could cut into that and comfortably fit a widescreen 7" LCD. Does anyone know what's under this portion of dash? All i'm hoping for is like, 1/2" of space.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check here..
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/

tons os information deven a couple of Camaro installations
thread http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ghlight=camaro

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ghlight=camaro
Old 12-11-2005, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

Very nice work on the install from what i can see BitViper. Where do you have your HV/AC controls.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Snap, was too busy with installing vbulletin on my website that I missed this thread. Sorry I wasn't around to offer suggestions. Definitely, since you have the 98+ interior, you could very easilly put in a screen like Snootch did (he's a member here, also, btw). Mine was a 93-96 interior, so I had a lot less to work with, which is why I had to do so much custom molding.

This is an old pic, but this is what it looked like semi-stock (I had done the 98+ console swap)

Quick Reply: Screen-placement Ideas?