Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Those w/ powder coated calipers

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Those w/ powder coated calipers

I just picked up my calipers from getting powder coated at a local shop here in town and while I can't believe how great they look as I got home and unpacked them I noticed what to appear is going to lead to big problems. Lemme first say I have not attempted to install them back on the car due to the fact I had to special order a couple new dust boot seals that will not arrive for a few more days since locally no one had them in stock. So with that said while I was unpacking the brackets and calipers I noticed that where the brake line hooks up on the caliper itself they have put powder coat there and I was curious is this going to present a big problem with it not sealing up and leaking brake fluid everywhere? I would really like to hear some feedback from others who recently had their brake calipers coated and find out how yours was done around that area where the brake line seals with that little brass fitting? Also if this does end up not sealing properly how should I go about with removing the powder coat?
Old 12-11-2005, 05:22 PM
What's a Sticky?

I dont have powdercoated calipers, but powdercoating on the threads is not good. I think the easiest way to get it out would probably be to get a tap and die set and just clean out the threads. Make sure you you dont leave pieces of loose powdercoat in there though, or it might cause trouble clogging **** up.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:37 PM
10 Second Club

yes, you will have to tap it, and you cant have powder between any of the bolting surfaces, powder CANNOT be between two pieces of metal that are bolted together, the powder will flake off and it will losen itself. which is not good on brakes.

i powdercoated my calipers i just havent got around to putting them back on