Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Exhaust tips starting to rust

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust tips starting to rust

I wasn't sure where to post this but I figured this would be the best place since it is sort of an appearance thing .

I had an exhaust shop fab up an exhaust system for me. I had them install some stainless tips that I purchased from them (forgot what brand). These tips have only been on the car for less than 6 months and they are already starting to rust . In fact the car has only been driven in the rain twice! These weren't cheap tips either. I believe I paid $40 each for them.

Now what do you guys recommend I do so that they don't rust even more? Is there anything I can use on the tips that "inhibits" rust?

Thanks
Old 02-03-2006, 04:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some grades of stainless will pit and develop surface rust...there's not anything I can think of that will stop the rust. You can wet sand and polish them back to their original shine using fine sandpaper and metal polish. When I had stainless tips, I would quickly hit them with metal polish every time I washed the car...it only took a few minutes, but it kept them looking new...
Old 02-04-2006, 01:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 69huggerZ
I wasn't sure where to post this but I figured this would be the best place since it is sort of an appearance thing .

I had an exhaust shop fab up an exhaust system for me. I had them install some stainless tips that I purchased from them (forgot what brand). These tips have only been on the car for less than 6 months and they are already starting to rust . In fact the car has only been driven in the rain twice! These weren't cheap tips either. I believe I paid $40 each for them.

Now what do you guys recommend I do so that they don't rust even more? Is there anything I can use on the tips that "inhibits" rust?

Thanks

Well you might consider a well known exhaust brand that come with their own tips and usually have a lifetime warranty. And OT, but do you have any pics of your 69?
Old 02-04-2006, 10:54 AM
Launching!

I have used Meg's tips on both of my TAs. Never had any problems with them. I remember my first set before Meg's was chrome, and those junkers didn't last all but 4 months before rusting.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, just replace them with some better quality stainless tips. Never had any trouble with mine from Fasttoys.net. B&B, mecham, corsa all good brands. Be sure to look for 304 Stainless steel with a lifetime warranty

Quick Reply: Exhaust tips starting to rust