Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

hood scoop from EFI nationals

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 10:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hood scoop from EFI nationals

I read GM High Tech Performance and saw pics of Wom Boy and The Underdog. I was wondering where they got thier hood scoops? I have been working on a big cowl like that on my 1974 Camaro and now it seems thay are starting to pop up everywhere.
My hood has actually turned into a ram air scoop. I wanted the center section o be raised like WormBoy's hood and it turned into something else. I am using 16 gauge steel. I have not cut any inner structure so its still solid. I have not made the switch to efi yet so I am still in the stone ages with a carb on a single 4 barrel crossram. I needed room for the air filter so i cut a hole in the hood. Not liking the look of that I began to search for hood scoops. Since I do not like the look of the fiberglass cowls on my car, I thought of an L-88 scoop. Still not happy with that I decided to build my own. Its big its tall and it will have an inlet in the front to feed the 830 Holley. I had to run a spacer plate for the carb to clear the intake and I run a 4 inch tall air filter so clearance was a big issue. Now with the hole in the hood, and the steel comming together it will look pretty good. No pics yet.
Anyway. I made it so it will clear the Accel SuperRam for the big block, Right now the small block will have no clearnace issues even if I do go to efi. Believe me I want efi cause its the oly way to run Turbocharges correctly and keep a vehicle streetable. I have other things in the works right now that take time and money but eventually. Gas prices are really justifying to the wife about efi. 8 MPG and super unleaded do not make me a happy person. I have a dialy beater to drive that gets 15-17mpg so the Camaro is just a weekend car.
Any help on thehood scoops?
Thanks f-body
Old 02-09-2006, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess the racers dont frequent the body section.