Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

the front of my SS hood is bubbling

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 10:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the front of my SS hood is bubbling

i have heard of this and seen on these boards before. from my understanding it is a problem with the glue or somthing that they used to hold the fiberglass together or somthing that is making the paint bubble a little bit. well iwant to get it fixed. From my understanding the car has like 80000 mile warranty on the corrosion and what not, can this be considered corrosion? my car has 62000 miles on it and i am just curious if i stand a chance at getting this fixed by a dealership.

Please help me out.

Thanks
Louie
Old 02-09-2006, 10:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

SS hood was made by SLP. I don't think GM will honor the warranty.
My Firehawk hood has similar issues in the nostril area. (As does many, many other Firehawk hoods.)
It's most likely the gel coat that is bubbling up. If it were just tha paint, it'd be an easy fix. However, ...
Take it to them & find out, ..., There's a ton of other people ready in line after you, if you can get them to fix it.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:48 PM
TECH Resident

ls it even going to be covered by the "corrosion" warranty? cause i am definately not covered by bumper to bumper anymore...

Louie
Old 02-10-2006, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should post a picture if possible. Chances are, if the bubbles are big (raised a mm or so) then is is probably the gelcoat.

This is really bad news (sorry) and you're staring at a 1k plus bill / finding a new hood.

GM will not cover it under corrosion. You have a c-hairs chance of getting some help from SLP, but it is extremely unlikely. They may give you a discount on a new hood.

I'd still try at least asking your dealership, especially if you have a good relationship with them. At least go through the hoops - just don't be surprised when or if they shrug you off.

I had a firehawk hood with bad gelcoat replaced due to hail damage. Pray for hail.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:52 PM
pjb
TECH Resident

my hood on my SS has millions of small paint chips and nicks. I'm getting ready to have it stripped and repainted. the rest of the car looks great. I'm the original owner no body work ever, but the hood looks bad. is this typical of the slp ss hood? seems like I read about others having this problem.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:19 AM
TECH Resident

Location: Richmond, VA Where fast cars, well......are hard to come by.

I was wondering about this same thing. I'll see if I can get a pic of it, but it's been happening for about 1.5 years, just that it's progressed fast recently. The bubbles look like maybe it's a clearcoat layer coming off, in one spot a bubble has actually broke, under it the hood is a flat black.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:24 PM
TECH Resident

well can the bubbles be sanded down and repainted?

is there anyway to fix the hood the way it sits?

Thanks
Louie