Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Paintless dent removal???

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Question Paintless dent removal???

Anyone ever go to one of these Paintless Dent Removal places? Some jaggoff bashed my rear quarter with his door in a parking lot yesterday and left a very noticeable dent Any suggestions, referals?
Old 02-14-2006, 12:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dad had a paintless dent removal guy come to our house...if they are a good business they will travel to you most of the time and bring all their cool tools with. there was some creases around the back window and trunk lid on his 69 camaro from when we straightend the frame. It was either like $700 to get the dents fixed and reapaint the whole back half of the car to blend it all together, or the paintless dent for like $75 i think he paid. It looks like new...can't even tell there was ever any creases there. I definately recomend finding out if your situation can be fixed this way, it is much more inexpensive and it turns out perfect.

Edit: His car his a show car too, so appearance being perfect is a must.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:46 PM
Teching In

I had some door dings in my quarter panel that a paintless dent removal guy took out. There were about 3 of them and once he got finished it looked new again! Cost me $100 bucks for all of it.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:54 PM
TECH Junkie

I had it done on my rear quarter panels to remove 4 years of door dings. The guy spent a couple hours with it and did a really nice job. I can't even tell the dents were there.

He setup a bunch of lights and mirrors, then drilled a 1/2" hole inside the door jamb (which he filled with a rubber grommet when he was done). He used those 1/2" holes as access holes for his tools, then he pushed the dents back out from the inside. Whole process took about 2 hours, one for each panel. I'm very pleased.

-Mike
Old 02-14-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks all for the quick replies. Glad to know this works. I was realy bummed about this all day. I guess I should be glad the car was able to avoid this for 12 + years.
Staging Lane

The body shop I took my car to after someone backed into it used Paintless Dent removla for soem of the repairs. I can't speak for all Paintless Dent repair vendors, but the one that worked on my car did a great job.
TECH Senior Member

I want to get a couple fixed on my car but I don't know if I want them to drill a hole in my door jam...Thats the only thing that keeps me from doing it
Old 02-14-2006, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

The body shop I took my car to after someone backed into it used Paintless Dent Removal for some of the repairs. I can't speak for all Paintless Dent repair vendors, but the one that worked on my car did a great job.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
I want to get a couple fixed on my car but I don't know if I want them to drill a hole in my door jam...Thats the only thing that keeps me from doing it
Yeah, that's a bit of a turn-off. I think I'll just pull the sail panel and speaker off before I get it done so no holes will need to be drilled.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by OnA Fan
Yeah, that's a bit of a turn-off. I think I'll just pull the sail panel and speaker off before I get it done so no holes will need to be drilled.
I doubt they'll be able to reach everything from there. Seriously, the holes in the door jamb don't stand out.

-Mike
Old 02-15-2006, 12:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

My problem areas are right below where the hatch glass corner is if they can get to them without drilling a hole I would get it done in a heart beat
Old 02-15-2006, 09:23 AM
TECH Junkie

I snapped a quick picture this morning on my way into work. This is the hole the guy drilled.

Under the hatch, they might be able to get in there by removing the sail panels, but behind the back seat speakers is tough, since there is extra bracing in there.

-Mike
Attached Thumbnails Paintless dent removal???-grommet.jpg  
Old 02-15-2006, 04:53 PM
TECH Resident

I've had it done before and worked out great. If they know what they are doing they won't drill a hole in your car. They should have just removed the striker and you have access through the factory hole.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Be a bit wary of Paintless Dent Removal. It is a great, cheap fix and it works well, but it will weaken the paint in the area that the dent was taken out and over time some chipping or cracking might start.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How exactly does it all work though? All I can picture is them drilling the hole, opening up a toolbox, and like 14 keebler elves come running out, jump into the drilled hole and start hammering out the panel.

Quick Reply: Paintless dent removal???