Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Interior carpet removal guides?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Interior carpet removal guides?

I don't want to just tear up the carpet in my interior, but I do want to remove the sound deadener underneath the carpet. Does anyone have any guides for carpet removal? I want to know the size of all the bolts, and EXACTLY what I have to do before I get myself into a project. I can't afford any flaws, so I need something to help me guide through it. Anything associated with a guide showing how to remove the interior carpet will help a million.

Anyone do this at all though, taking the sound deadener out? What is the sound difference?
Old 02-20-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

dont have your answer but have a question about why your wanting to do that? weight reducing it?
Old 02-20-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sycotic_reject
dont have your answer but have a question about why your wanting to do that? weight reducing it?
Yup. I've already taken out about 80 pounds of stuff, and would like to increase it.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've done it, to replace the carpet, really not hard, cant tell you exactly but you'll need some larger than normal torx for the seat belts, sail panel just pop off, and the only other one I can remember is a 15m for the back seats , center console obviously has to come up, which was a pain for me having loads of wires running through there. your lookin at a good couple hour job and I was at a shop where I had all the tools readily available, if you can get access to GM-Vis search for R&R carpet, or jute....sorry all I can hep you with.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

how much would that take out in pounds? and what else did you do for 80 pounds?! i've been wanting to do that, taking the deadner out but dont know how much that would take out, maybe 20 pounds?
Old 02-20-2006, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

how much would that take out in pounds? and what else did you do for 80 pounds?! i've been wanting to do that, taking the deadner out but dont know how much that would take out, maybe 20 pounds?
The sound deadener I hear is about 35-40 pounds I believe. I've taken out my A/C system, my front sway bar, and tons of various little stuff that I don't remember.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nikon
I've done it, to replace the carpet, really not hard, cant tell you exactly but you'll need some larger than normal torx for the seat belts, sail panel just pop off, and the only other one I can remember is a 15m for the back seats , center console obviously has to come up, which was a pain for me having loads of wires running through there. your lookin at a good couple hour job and I was at a shop where I had all the tools readily available, if you can get access to GM-Vis search for R&R carpet, or jute....sorry all I can hep you with.
Yeah I've taken out the front seats and rear seats before, that's no problem. I'll give the search a try. What is the GM-Vis though? The front console is my main point, and removing the deadener from the rear as well. What exactly is the "sail" panel?

Last edited by blind527; 02-20-2006 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by blind527
The sound deadener I hear is about 35-40 pounds I believe. I've taken out my A/C system, my front sway bar, and tons of various little stuff that I don't remember.
wow really that much!? hmmm it sounds better already and **** taking the A/C stuff out hmm....lol kinda hot here in texas to be running around like that,
Old 02-20-2006, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow really that much!? hmmm it sounds better already and **** taking the A/C stuff out hmm....lol kinda hot here in texas to be running around like that,
Yeah man, I would HIGHLY suggest going against taking the A/C out in Texas, but if it's not a DD, then go for it.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

front console is easy, you have to remove the shifter, on my auto theres a little hidden clip on the front of it to pop it off, then open the center console and pull I think only 2 10mm that hold the main part of the center console down then there should be 4 more on the very bottom of the center console/glove box (whatever you wanna call it) then they just kinda lift off, pull up first then pull it to the back and it will slide out of the front (clipped in I think) and the rear well, carpet should basically "fall" out once you pull all the panels. and GM-VIS is the tech/walkthrough web-site for GM techs, I used to have access to it, Im sure a couple people on this forum are gm techs and can print out the step by step guide from gm. But ya hardest part about pulling the center console is pulling the shifter, if you've got a 6 spd I think it just unscrews..not sure though I have an auto.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nikon
front console is easy, you have to remove the shifter, on my auto theres a little hidden clip on the front of it to pop it off, then open the center console and pull I think only 2 10mm that hold the main part of the center console down then there should be 4 more on the very bottom of the center console/glove box (whatever you wanna call it) then they just kinda lift off, pull up first then pull it to the back and it will slide out of the front (clipped in I think) and the rear well, carpet should basically "fall" out once you pull all the panels. and GM-VIS is the tech/walkthrough web-site for GM techs, I used to have access to it, Im sure a couple people on this forum are gm techs and can print out the step by step guide from gm. But ya hardest part about pulling the center console is pulling the shifter, if you've got a 6 spd I think it just unscrews..not sure though I have an auto.
Got an auto as well. I'll look into it, and see how everything looks.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

You'd be lucky to get 8 pound with the sound deadener soaking wet. It's the actual carpet that weighs so much. I replaced my carpet with fleece fabric and WITH the sound deadener it was 7lbs total.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

how much was the original carpet weighing before?
Old 02-20-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

a little under 30 lbs, the sound deadener under the carpet didn't weigh enough to show a reading on the scale so I reused it.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

wow really?! holy fkk. that saved me some time there then! oh yeah where did you get the other carpet from?
Old 02-20-2006, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

local fabric store. I got Fleece with a knitted backside for strength. Looks like this:

As for the car, it looks exactly the same. Just feels softer. I'm creating a write up right now on how to do it. I went to lowes and got strips of lite insulation to fill the low spots, because this fabric flows with ever bump. It looks like stock new carpet now.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

hmmmm excelent i was wondering where people got em!
Old 11-04-2006, 11:12 AM
TECH Resident

does anyone know how to remove the front seats/back seats like, a guide..
on a 95 trans am, thanks...
Old 11-04-2006, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

I weighed it myself. It was closer to 15 lbs. not worth it IMO.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MyWs62FaST4u
does anyone know how to remove the front seats/back seats like, a guide..
on a 95 trans am, thanks...

Theres 4 bolts on the bottom of the seat, and 2 phillips screws on the seat belt brackets. Doesn't get much easier.

Quick Reply: Interior carpet removal guides?