Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

need help removing window tint on rear window

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default need help removing window tint on rear window

aight ive already removed the tint and adhesive from my side windows, and now hafta do the rear window. i've read all the directions on how to do this (spray with ammonia, trap ammonia with black trash bags, and let it soak in warm sunlight for an hour or so).

well my problem is i dont have sunlight...i have to do this stuff at night bc i am too busy to do it during the day. also, i have to have the tine off by friday bc i have to take my car to court to show them the tint is off, and all the shops around here are booked and cant do it for me, so thats why im doing it myself.

my question is this.....can i spray the ammonia on the windows, trap it with the trash bag, and then just use a hair drier to heat the film up so itll peel off easy and in one piece? thanks in advance.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have tinted windows for years...so i will shed a little light/advice for you.

Everything i say in no way shape or form is "law" just what i do.

First i pray that the film that it was tinted with was of good quality.

Second i take a heat gun(hairdryer probobly wont cut it) and i heat up a corner of the window and begin to peel the tint from there. i slowly continue to peel and heat up the area that i adding stress to at that moment.

If the quality of the tint is good...this is going to all come off in one piece and wont sliver off in little sections.

once the entire piece(or pieces depending on how well they did the tint job) is off their may be glue all over the window. This is when use the ammonia. i actually use windex with ammonia D.
i spray the whole window and let it sit for a while, and then i spray again and after spraying a couple of times the glue almost wipes off without any problems. from here you are in good shape.

Hope it helps. i have heard rumors about the bags and ammonia and everything although i have never seen someone do it with the tint still on there.

Either way let me know if that works i will have to try it out.

Thanks
Louie
Old 03-28-2006, 06:39 PM
TECH Addict

aight im gonnna go ahead and let the ammoina sit ont he tint for a while and heat it with a hairdrier, and come back after a while and heat it again and try to peel it off in one piece. i just dont wanna mess up the defrost lines when i get the adhesive off. you dont hafta use steel wool? just windex does the trick?
Old 03-28-2006, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've removed TINT myself too, luckily for me the quality was superb. I just peeled a corner and pulled it off in one huge chunk. Whatever excess glue was left on my window- I just took some GO-GONE and a towel and it rubbed right off. GOOD LUCK with your project their though. I would just use the windex- the wool might scratch the window
Old 03-28-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

welll i just got done.....all i had to do was heat the film up with a hair drier as i pulled it off. the excess glue was removed with damp stell wool, no scratches at all. only took about an hour. thanks for the help people.