Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

got my lt1 finally! cleaning and painting questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 12:45 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got my lt1 finally! cleaning and painting questions

ok guys i got my motor and i am happy but it needs some cleaning! i started with the intake manifold and there was some like calcium build up on it, so i cleaned it and nothing used some wire brush and nothing so i gave up and painted it black..lol, but what i wanted to know is, on the heads and on the block do you guys use primer on it or just the engine paint? the only reason why i am asking is because i was thinking that the engine paint is meant for high heat, but not sure if the primer can handle it let me know what you think!
Old 04-14-2006, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I go ahead and just spray it with the engine paint. Of course I scuff it up a bit here and there and also make sure where you're painting's clean in all. I put about 2 coats on and then put the motor in.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:26 AM
Launching!

ok kool, i did use that on the intake, well here is what i used on it,
1) brake cleaner 2) scrubbing bubbles (hey you laugh but that **** works) 3) alum cleaner 4) paint thinner 5) paint stipper and 6) a wire brush on a drill, and none of this got it off! so just used high temp engine paint on it you say no primer? what about on the heads and block did you guys use that rust to primer on it? my head and block have some rust on it that i can't get to with sand paper what do you think?