Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

anyone ever heard of dry sanding the car

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 08:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone ever heard of dry sanding the car

i always thought whenever u touched paint it was wet sanding, this friend of mine who used to work at a body shop that worked on like $80k sports cars said they never wet sanded except when painting and they just dry sanded with tool with around 2k grit then compounded the car and it came out smoother. am im delirious
Old 05-12-2006, 08:57 AM
TECH Addict

yeah ive heard of that, but ive only seen it done when they are primaring or filling in parts that are uneven, then they sand to make smooth and paint then clearcoat and then wetsand to get the orangepeel out of the clearcoat.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:13 AM
TECH Resident

see that sounds right to me but he said they dry sanded with palm sanders the whole car to tae off the top layer of clearcoat i dunno but it sound interesting
Old 05-12-2006, 09:42 AM
12 Second Club

You'll cut through the material a lot faster doing it dry and it's easy to go too deep in one spot doing it dry. The point of wet sanding is to keep a film of water and soap on top of the paint so you don't go too deep. 2000 grit is like tissue paper pretty much so I guess you'd have to be in one spot for quite a while to actually burn through it.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

yeah at the body shop i work at we sometimes will dry sand with 2000 on a d/a with the pad that goes between the paper and the d/a, then just buff it out. its a lot quicker especially if we have to do a whole car.

Quick Reply: anyone ever heard of dry sanding the car