Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Powdercoating??

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 11:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powdercoating??

Okay im thinking about doing some powdercoating guys....
Ive been reading about it dont sound to hard. Anyone have tips or comments Ive been doind autopainting and prming for a couple years now with no big problem. And the powdercoating guns arent to expensive from this site I found what ya think????
http://www.caswellplating.com/powder/index.html
Old 05-13-2006, 12:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do it. thats all i have to say

last year the shop i work at started ceramic coating and its not that incredibly difficult, you just need the right equipment, and make sure you do a lot of research on the proper way to do it.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:35 PM
TECH Regular

Good deal man. What all do you need to set it all up?
Old 05-13-2006, 01:39 PM
rwb
TECH Enthusiast

I have the Eastwood system, easy to use and looks good when done right. Just make sure you wear a mask when powder coating, that powder get up into your nose really bad and takes several days to get out. Also buy a used oven at a garage sale to cook your parts, works better than the heat lamp that eastwood sells.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:42 PM
Teching In

Powder coating is easy. Like anything you need to start with good prep work, make sure everything is clean, spray and bake. It is very durable, and if you ever want to change color, rough it up with scotch brite a bit, and respray and bake. Colors are endless, I did everything on my TA, and several others.
Attached Thumbnails Powdercoating??-front-caliper-brackets.jpg   Powdercoating??-camaro-under-hood-1.jpg   Powdercoating??-front-rotor-caliper.jpg   Powdercoating??-fuel-rail-bmr-brace.jpg  
Old 05-13-2006, 01:49 PM
Teching In

Eastwood has a couple of powder coat guns, Harbor freight does also for aroung $60. You will need either a oven (dont cook with it), or a UV Light (eastwood has several). Basically, you clean everything, spray it, and put it in oven, check powder for instructions, some need oven to be at 450 for abour 5 to 10 minutes, then 400 for 20 minutes. You lower temperature once the powder flows our (melts into coating) then it cures at the lower temperature. I have some powder that requires different temperatures.

TO get started I spent around $400 and that included a new oven, light and eastwood spray gun. You can always upgrade equipment as you go.