Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

PPL that know paint, help me

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PPL that know paint, help me

Ok, I got my black Z awhile back, The guy I got it off of told me it was keyed so it was repainted on the RH door and rear quarter panel. No big deal, and I got it cheap, but in the sun those 2 panels have a purpleish tint and just dont match the factory black. So is this just cheap paint? If so, If I got that repainted again what would be the chances of it being off color again. I thought it would be hard to F-up black paint but apparently not. Thanks for ur help.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was it blended with the other panels when it was repainted? It's hard to get the paint the same shade once you repaint it. Too many factors come into play and it will never match exactly. Most shops will blend the surounding panels so that you can't tell that it's off. More than likely yours wasn't blended
Old 05-20-2006, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

Yea, they completely repainted those 2 panels. Thats the only downfall to this car. I guess its a one off 2 tone HAHA.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Addict

FWIW I had the top half of my rear quarters painted, and I can't tell the difference, I guess you could have those two panels repainted with GM black, then it should look the same
And you aren't the only one with 2 tone paint, ASC must put some brown in the WS6 hood paint, mine looks brown in certain light, while the fenders are black (that's supposed to be normal )
Old 05-21-2006, 09:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
Was it blended with the other panels when it was repainted? It's hard to get the paint the same shade once you repaint it. Too many factors come into play and it will never match exactly. Most shops will blend the surounding panels so that you can't tell that it's off. More than likely yours wasn't blended
+1

Youd be surprised how many different shades of black there are on the market. Ontop of that, you should account for fading as well. Shops around here take a piece of your car and stick it under a machine that analyze your color and mixes a batch of paint to match exactly what you have, then they blend the paint into neighboring panels. But these are the places that charge about a 1000 to fully repaint a single body panel. On the other hand they offer lifetime warranties for the paint against peeling, bubbling, etc. You get what you pay for.

I dont know that any quart of paint mixed to match GM paint would match exactly as your car IS 7 years old, but it shouldnt be too far off if the car's been taken care of.

Last edited by kraaazymike; 05-21-2006 at 09:25 AM.

Quick Reply: PPL that know paint, help me