Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

grille mounting ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default grille mounting ?'s

I recently bought an slp ss grille and wanted to mount it and used body molding tape but it doesnt seem to wanna stay so im gonna drill two holes and the side of the grille. My question is what would be the best way to drill into the front nose?? Should I tape off the area, mark it, and drill slowly?? I dont wanna crack the paint or make it spider so how should I do this?? thanks
Old 08-05-2006, 04:40 PM
TECH Regular

My SS grill already had like 6 predilled holes from SLP that I just transfered over to the nose piece an drilled.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thats what i mean, i would be using the pre-drilled holes from the grille, but when drilling in the nose of the car should i tape off the area and then drill slowly??
Old 08-05-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Regular

I just drilled mine with a regular cordless drill normal speed an I did no extra prep.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

Take some blue painter's tape and place on the area to be drilled. Then use a Sharpie marker to mark the holes using the grille as a guide. The marks will be clearly visible on the tape. Drill a small pilot hole through the marks and then drill the full size hole. Remove tape and you have a perfect hole with no
cracks or spidering of the paint. Tip: have someone else hold the grille in perfect alignment while you mark the holes.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by parbreak
Take some blue painter's tape and place on the area to be drilled. Then use a Sharpie marker to mark the holes using the grille as a guide. The marks will be clearly visible on the tape. Drill a small pilot hole through the marks and then drill the full size hole. Remove tape and you have a perfect hole with no
cracks or spidering of the paint. Tip: have someone else hold the grille in perfect alignment while you mark the holes.
Thats exactly what i had pictured in my head, thanks parbreak.

Quick Reply: grille mounting ?'s