Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

How do you clean your PC pads?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 07:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member
Default How do you clean your PC pads?

What are you guys using to clean your PC pads with the velcro backing on them? I used the my kit for the first time this weekend and it kick ***. However, the velcro backing on the black pad started to come off after I soaked it in soapy water. I just used a liquid dish soap. They are replacing the pad for me but I was just curious what others are using.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just alot of rinsing off under a garden hose with a stedy flow of water, air dry.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here. Good rinse with water and let sit outside. I then store them in large plastic freezer bags. Each one in it's own bag.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by parbreak
Same here. Good rinse with water and let sit outside. I then store them in large plastic freezer bags. Each one in it's own bag.

No soap? It says that you should clean in soapy water but if you don't think its necessary then maybe I shouldn't
Old 08-15-2006, 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

I've personally never used soap on them. Might be a good idea, just never had the need to.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Junkie

I fill a bucket with car wash solution/water as though I was getting ready to wash. When a pad gets too saturated or when I'm done polishing with it, I throw it in the bucket and set something heavy on it, to keep it from floating (but not heavy enough to smash it against the bottom). When I'm done putting everything else away, I take the pad(s) out and rinse under a steady stream of water, shake out as much excess water as possible, then hang it up to dry. I have some bicycle hooks screwed into the wall of my garage and I keep my pads there.

The next time I get ready to use it, I run a little knobby massager wheel thing (my wife has millions of these things) over it to knock loose any old dust.

I have heard of the glue coming loose on a few of these, but that's a manufacturing defect. Unless you get it caught on the edge of a license plate or something, it should last a while.

-Mike
Old 08-15-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

Mike,

What kind of pads(brand) are you using. I've got the Lake Country and they seem to hold up pretty well.

Bryan
Old 08-15-2006, 01:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by parbreak
Mike,

What kind of pads(brand) are you using. I've got the Lake Country and they seem to hold up pretty well.

Bryan
I use the Lake Country pads as well. I've had excellent results with them and haven't felt a need to switch.

-Mike
Old 08-15-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Cool!!
Old 08-15-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I clean my at the sink, using some Dawn ultra and a small brush, rinse them real good using the hose outside .. then wring them out, and finally give them a quick spin on the rotary, holding the pad down in a 5 gallon bucket.

I then let them air dry for a day or two in the house, then store them in ziplock freezer bags.

when I go to use a pad each time, I will give it a quick spin on the rotary, and run a nylon brush along the surface to get rid of any dust or other small particles that might be attached.

I use both Meg's and Lake Country pads ..

as an FYI .. Meg's does not recommend washing pads .. they put them in a cabinet to dry when they are done, then use a brush and a rotary to clean them prior to their next use.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wash mine in soap and water as well...I did have a problem with one of my yellow cutting pads losing the velcro backing sheet, but I don't think the soap had anything to do with it...
Old 08-15-2006, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I also take my pads to the sink with some Dawn, especially pads I use for applying/buffing wax. I air dry them and store them in a tupperware.

I use Excel pads and they're holding up great.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:17 PM
TECH Resident

I wash my pads with mild detergent and warm water. I dry them out by folding it in half then squeezing, then I put it on the PC and spin it on a low speed to get some more water out then I let it air dry. I use the Sonus pads which Im quite happy with.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

I wash my pads in the washing machine (in a garment bag) with hot water, a little soap, and a little APC.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZaneO
I wash my pads in the washing machine (in a garment bag) with hot water, a little soap, and a little APC.
I did that once .. took a month for the lump on my head to go away.

when I redo the garage next spring, I am going to plumb in a washing machine so I have somewhere to wash my towels, pads, applicators etc.without worrying about trashing the good machine in the house.

the garmet bag is a good ide a.. I use on for my applicators when I wash them ..

Quick Reply: How do you clean your PC pads?