Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need to quiet down inside of car.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 10:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to quiet down inside of car.

As the summer is coming to an end im sick of hearing my loud exahust. I have a cam'd car going to mac mid leghnth headers, 2.5" true dual going to borla xr-1 mufflers.

For awhile i was driving the car with no rear interior pannels or no back seat. The sound detening material was removed by the perevious owner.

Yesterday i put all the pannels/back seat back in. It is MUCH better. quiet at idle and cruise but while getting to speed its still too loud for 6am.

Im thinking of getting some type of sound detening material but i dont know what will work best for this. I plan on putting it under the rear seats (right where exhaust is) and in the trunk area.

And something that doesn't weigh 1000 pounds
Old 09-23-2006, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

2 steps:

I prefer eDead by elemental designs. I have multiple layers of edead v1SE, one layer should do for you. This made a HUGE diff in interior noise levels, especially low frequencies. It is heavy but ultimately, only mass will reduce this type of noise.

Next coming is edead v4 (teklite). It's more for road/wind noise (higher frequencies) and it's also super light. I'll be putting one layer (all that's needed) all throughout, including on the backs of ALL trim panels. This should make it ride as quiet as a normal car.

There are other good brands out there that also work extremely well (brown bread, b-quiet, dynamat, etc) but I like edead as it's price competitive in all areas and no one I know of really has a teklite equivalent yet. Plus, I really like their service.

This is a time intensive mod as you have to prep properly but it really pays off if this car is your daily driver. BTW, I am not affiliated with them, I just like and use their products.

Good luck!
Old 09-24-2006, 12:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks alot for the advice.

how many sq feet of each would you reccomend to do the whole car (pedals back)
Old 09-24-2006, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

How much sq feet for all that? Im really looking to do it to my Z sometime as well!
Old 09-24-2006, 02:13 PM
TECH Regular

i got some stuff from lowes for pretty darn cheap and put 2 layers on. It sounds like i just have a catback now. The stuff works really good for how cheap it was, esp if you are on a budget
Old 09-24-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

did you put it over hour WHOLE car?? pedals to trunk??? about how much weight do you think you added?
Old 09-24-2006, 11:00 PM
TECH Regular

pretty much everywhere but the front floor pan. The stuff is not heavy at all, i would say no more than 7#'s
Old 09-25-2006, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

The v1SE is pretty heavy. I added a good 100 sq ft to the car, but I did multiple layers most everywhere. I'm guessing I added 50-75 lbs of weight throughout. It's worth it though, even made the car "feel" tighter, as well as quieter. The v4 won't add much weight at all, super light. The v1SE is about a buck a square foot, the v4 about double that - shipped, which is pretty good.

I did it everywhere, ESPECIALLY the front floor pan. I didn't pull the dash though, so that and the firewall are unchanged. That would probably make a big difference too. I also didn't do under the headliner, or sail panels, though that will get done on the next go round with v4. The more, the merrier, as far as layers of the v1/v1SE. But if weight is a concern, just stick with the v1SE and use one layer. Go right over it with v4. I'm going to do that on mine when I put in TA seats! I did double the jute in the doors as well as doing the v1SE there also, that seemed to help a bit too.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by texasreb18
i got some stuff from lowes for pretty darn cheap and put 2 layers on. It sounds like i just have a catback now. The stuff works really good for how cheap it was, esp if you are on a budget

We need a name mann!....a name..
Old 09-25-2006, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmilz28
The v1SE is pretty heavy. I added a good 100 sq ft to the car, but I did multiple layers most everywhere. I'm guessing I added 50-75 lbs of weight throughout. It's worth it though, even made the car "feel" tighter, as well as quieter. The v4 won't add much weight at all, super light. The v1SE is about a buck a square foot, the v4 about double that - shipped, which is pretty good.

I did it everywhere, ESPECIALLY the front floor pan. I didn't pull the dash though, so that and the firewall are unchanged. That would probably make a big difference too. I also didn't do under the headliner, or sail panels, though that will get done on the next go round with v4. The more, the merrier, as far as layers of the v1/v1SE. But if weight is a concern, just stick with the v1SE and use one layer. Go right over it with v4. I'm going to do that on mine when I put in TA seats! I did double the jute in the doors as well as doing the v1SE there also, that seemed to help a bit too.
There a need for more layers than 1? In my v6 the people that installed my system put some into the hatch area and it made it sound actually alot better. But for my Z I am using the same system that was in the V6 but I wanted to put this stuff all over the car so I wont have rattles or vibrations from the bass.. Also I wanted to try to keep some of the exhaust and outside sounds out..
Old 10-01-2006, 11:35 AM
TECH Addict

The heavier stuff will keep vibrations and lower frequency stuff out (bass, exhaust drone) while the lighter stuff will keep out other noises (exhaust noise, road/wind noise, tire noise). Extra layers DO help noticeably but are not required.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:19 PM
Staging Lane

If you really want to keep the noise out of your car, I would suggest a combination of liquid sound deadening and mat. And you can also go over it with some Teklite or any other closed cell foam to keep most of the higher frequency stuff out of the car. I talked to Anthony at www.secondskinaudio.com and he recommended doing 5 gallons of their Spectrum Liquid. He said it adds about 50 lbs wet, but once it dries its more around 40 lbs. Top that off with about 10-20 square feet of damplifier or some other mat to cover up the holes and you should be set.

I'm not sure if eDead still uses the asphault based stuff, but I would stay far away from it. I used some asphault based stuff in one of my cars about 4 years ago and not only did it make my car smell like a tar pit, but it fell off in the Louisiana heat. I would suggest a butyl compounded mat like Second Skin Damplifier, Dynamat Extreme, Raamat BXT, etc. Here is a good link that compares the different kinds of sound deadener:
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com

Now, as for what I will be using? Me and a buddy will be going in together on some deadener, so I will probably use about 2 1/2 gallons of liquid and 60 square feet of Raamat BXT along with some Raamat Ensolite or Second Skin Overkill Pro, or Teklite. It all depends on what I can get the best deal on.
You don't have to do as much as I have suggested, as 2-3 gallons in the problem areas will kill most of your road/exhaust noise, but if you are only adding 50 lbs to your DD, that really isn't that big of a trade off.
If you have a compressor, the liquid can be sprayed on and that will save you tons of time. If you just go with mat, it can take you 15-20 hours to mat the entire car. If you do liquid, once you strip out the interior and wipe it all down, it will probably cut your time down by a factor of 5. But I would suggest getting a little bit of mat to cover up holes and some closed cell foam for your doors, floor, and quarter panel areas.
You may be able to talk to Anthony at secondskinaudio.com and get a discount code for 20% off if you talk to him for a while, get his recommendations, and mention that you are a member of various forums and you want to try his product, but no promises.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:17 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The eD v1SE2 stuff is butyl, not asphalt based. It works incedibly well. The car did have a chemical smell for a couple days, but I left the windows down for a couple days and put some baking soda on the floor to absord the smell and then it was fine. It made a huge difference in the car and I did both front doors and the rear well of the car.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:37 PM
12 Second Club

Here is the absolute cheapest i think...
Old 11-04-2006, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99_Z_155
Here is the absolute cheapest i think...
and lightest!

Quick Reply: Need to quiet down inside of car.