Paint question

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Paint question

Several questions

First
I'm having some issues with my paint. The clear is starting to peel up along the edge where the hood meets the front bumper. Is it possible to wet sand and re-clear the car?

Second
My car was damaged while in the shop recently. The shop took care of it and fixed and repainted the damaged section. I asked about painting the whole car while they were at it but that was ended quickly when i got the estimate. Apparently the Mystic Teal paint alone would set me back $2000 to shoot the entire car.
That's without the labor charges and clear. Does this sound right? Is that color $500 a pint?

Thanks
Old 10-02-2006, 11:34 PM
Staging Lane

Buller

Buller
Old 10-03-2006, 12:15 AM
Teching In

The peeling area on the hood should be feathered back,or if it wont feather out , the clear should be removed. both of which would prob. need to be primed, or at least sealed and re-based, followed by clear. And I am a proffesional painter at a big shop. And I've also shot mystic teal. first of all I don't know what kind of paint the quoted shop uses, or what their cost is on the product, but I do know that 2 quarts un-reduced is about right for the amount of color needed. and I've never seen or heard of a quart of mystic teal for 500.00 let alone a pint, that sounds pretty far fetched if you ask me?The material bill total for my GTO was 522.00 and change for sealer, the phantom black, the silver, the three stage red pearl, and all of the clear. Take into thought we use one of the best paint systems in high end refinishing. SIKKENS!!!!! not a cheap product. My bill was calculated precisely by recording everything on scale, and was not marked up or taxed. But even if it was I still would have been below 800.00 for all the liquid materials. You can check out my pics on my thread in this forum. I'll gurantee, if I painted my car mystic teal all over, My bill would have been cheaper. and yes its true I had to pay my manager for the materials i used when i sprayed my car, but most managers would have charged around 1000 for shop fee, covering everything. so I guess I got it good....
Old 10-03-2006, 11:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

I agree with what D2judgin said about the peeling on the fender. As far as the Mystic teal being $2000, well thats a load of crap. I use PPG and its nowhere near that price. Was this a body shop that damaged your car? Sounds to me like they just didnt want to do it.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

That's what i was thinking as well. I have heard of some Pearl paints costing a fortune but i never thought a production color would be so costly.

Is there any place on the Internet where i could look up pricing on manufacture paint codes?

Thanks for the replay's
Old 10-04-2006, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

sikkens is an awesome and expensive paint. i used it at the shop i used to work at.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:50 PM
Teching In

yeah I like SIKKENS Alot , I am a converted ppg global sprayer. I Also just painted A Red 98 Mustang COmplete today, I mean everything , but the jambs. And the liquid cost of materials sprayed was 500.00 Red is pretty expensive too.the estimater charged about 60 hours total and the ticket total was 3000

Quick Reply: Paint question